Sunday, April 30, 2006

Lo these many years...

What got me motivated to start my own blog was a number of projects that have been hanging around like little crafty anchors, mocking me from the 'in progress' bin. For some reason, after many years of letting them languish in unfinished obscurity, I got really inspired to tidy things up and voila, in a matter of two weeks, they were done. So here they are...
(I apologise in advance...the lighting in my place is the pits and subsequently, my pics turn out washed out and vague)

This here's a sweater I started about six years ago or so. I had just taken up knitting again and needed an easy project to get me back into the swing of things. I had made a few gifts at this point and wanted something for myself. This was before I got a little wiser and started doing smaller projects that finish in half the time. Needless to say, this sweater was taking WAY too long for my liking and eventually got pushed aside in favour of other gifts that I'm sure people didn't want but got anyway. I picked up the dreaded thing again about a year ago when I was in between projects I really wanted to do, and was making some pretty good progress when I ran out yarn. And wouldn't you know it, I couldn't find any more. It's one of those one pounder, discount store acrylics, so you'd think it would be easy to find. No sir. Anyway, I finally found the right colour about a month ago and went at this damned thing as though I would never live to knit another day. I altered the sleeves from the pattern, not wanting a cuff, and finally it was done. But here's the sad part...I hate it! All that angst for a garment I don't even like! Okay, perhaps hate is too strong a word. Let's just say I'm not fond of it. First of all, it's HUGE! I knew it would be big, but it's really big. Second, it's awkward, but I suppose that's because it needs a zipper in the front and I've yet to get to that (perhaps in another six years...let's not rush things). Anyway, that's the saga of the six year, navy acrylic sweater.

Next up we have a wee little baby sweater, a Patons pattern and yarn. Nothing wrong with it, it's perfectly lovely, knit using a Beehive Baby yarn in varigated(sp?) purples and white. Again, this started out as a project just for me and again took a back seat when it came time to knit things for other people. Why are gifts so much easier to finish? Deadlines? Hmm...anyhow, I neither have babies nor will I in the immediate future (but the not so distant one I hope) but there are those who are having babies around me, so perhaps it will go to someone like that (shh, don't tell...she might be reading this!) In any case, it's done, and that's really all that matters.

Here is the final project that had been neglected for too long. It remains 'in progress', but at least with my new found zeal, the finish line isn't so far ahead. It's a quilt (obviously) for Boyfriend's (hearafter known as BF) dog. He's kind of our dog, but he lives with his grandparents (BF's ma and pa) and this was supposed to be his Christmas present last year. Why a quilt you ask? Well, I made it out of some 'recovered' fabric, that is to say, BF's old boxers! Well washed and worn out, I used what I could for the front and old t-shirts for the backing. I get a real kick out of this project because it appeals to the 'use what you've got' sensibility that I'm very into at the moment. Anyhow, it's extremely soft and something that I thought Maury (the ever so lovable Jack Russell who will appear a lot in this blog I'm sure) would really love. I'm anxious for him to recieve it...finally.
Well, that takes care of the backlog of stuff I wanted to post...until later.

No comments: