Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm It...

Chicken Betty has tagged me for a meme. Here's the deets...

The rules of the game get posted at the beginning. Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

1) What was I doing 10 years ago?

You seriously expect me to remember a decade ago? Hmmm...let's see...I was 20, it's spring...I was likely finishing up exams in my first year of university (we started later way back then, because of OAC in Ontario...or grade 13 or whatever people liked to call it back in the old days) and was packing up to head home for the summer. Yeah, that seems about right...I started Sept. of '97 so May of '98 I would've finished my first year. Man I hated university. It sucked. The first go around anyway. I did only two years at U of Toronto before I threw in the towel. I still, even as I type about it, have a visceral reaction to those memories. My own fault really...I was excrutiatingly shy at the time and didn't really want to make any friends. And I was on an all girl floor in dorm and most of my friends in highschool were guys, so you do the math. PLUS, I was an arts student and I was on a floor with all engineering students. Sheesh. My roommate and I (along with one other girl) were the only two arts students (as in liberal, not fine) on the floor. Co-incidentally, we were the only three smokers. We stuck pretty close to each other. Anyhow, that whole university thing is kind of why I hate Toronto so much now...but I suppose I should just get over it and give Toronto a fair shake... ... nah.


2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order):

Go to work...ummm...that's really about it! I suppose I had considered doing some cleaning when I got home (and as you can tell, I am on the computer instead), like the bathroom and a little vacuuming...maybe return the tile samples I borrowed from the paint store yesterday...hit the grocery store and figure out what's going to be for dinner and then take the dog for a walk/run. Of all of those things, the cleaning will definitely not get done. And seeing as Hank is quite happily napping beside me, we'll see how far we get with that as well. But it is a lovely day...he really should get some exercise.

3) Snacks I enjoy;

I think my favourite snack is green olives (the Colossal ones from Presidents Choice are AWESOME) with cheese and crackers and a big glass of V8. Pretty much any type of cheese and any type of cracker although my current faves are the flavoured Tricuts; Rosemary and Olive Oil, Cracked Black Pepper and the new Deli Rye ones....mmmmm. Although, Chicken Betty's snack foods sound pretty damn good right about now, even though I just had lunch...nothing beats freshly baked bread and I too could eat avacado in anything.


4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire;

I would buy an exotic pet, like a llama or an emu...no wait, that's if I Had a $1 000 000

Other than the usual (homes/cars for peeps; get everyone out of debt etc.) I honestly don't know...that's a lot of money to try and comprehend. I think I'd travel some, with friends, and just generally have a very very good time. I'd likely give quite a bit away, or do a Big Give-ish kind of thing and try and get the money to make more money to help as many people as I could in different capacites. I'd really like to get a sail boat too. I think I could swing that. I would spend my time learning all the stuff that I've always wanted to learn and go and talk to people I've always wanted to talk to or learn from. I'd have a really kick ass house, not ostentatious by any means, but just a really homey place, one that could accomodate a lot of people at once so that I could entertain a lot. I like being at home and having people around...so I'd probably concentrate a lot on that.



5) Places I have lived:

Hawkestone, Ontario; Holy snappin' c*ap Lou, it has a Wikipedia entry! That is sooo unbelievably cool! If you read this little article, I was born in Orillia and lived on the property right next to the Girl Guide camp, which was right on the lake and also a small 'yacht' club. I use the word yacht very loosely as there were no yachts per sey...although the members who came from Toronto certainly believed that that's what they owned (strike two TO). As a kid, I would hop the rocks up stream to the remains of the old mill, where we used to hang out. This was a very magical place to me, and since we left it when I was eight, it still holds a very idealized and nostalgic place in my heart. I spent as much time as humanly possible out doors. Oh, and the Ukranian camp? They threw WILD parties. We could hear them across the lake once a summer when they held their big bash. Great music...and you could hear as people got more inebriated as the night went on. Good times...

Wallaceburg, Ontario Looks as though they might all have a Wikipedia entry. I consider W'Burg, 'The Burg', Burgertown a.k.a. The Biggest Hole Above Ground (my teenage opinion of the place at the time) to be my hometown. This is where I grew up. Not much to add if you go and read the article, which I of course recommend that you do, cuz it is kinda cool. This is the town where both of my parents grew up and where both my husband and I are from. Well, he's technically from an even smaller town some ten minutes away, and if you ask him, it might as well be a world away. Small town wars, ya know? He thinks his town is better and vice versa. Anyway...we went to the same highschool...and we both agree that it was...an interesting place. Anyhow, the Baldoon Mystery is indeed local legend, the town is named after William Wallace aka Braveheart (yeah, the Mel Gibson guy) and it was once quite the bustling hub of industry. Unfortunately, like so many other little towns that are suffering nowadays, that is no longer the case. WAMBO is a hoot and they forgot to mention that the museum also has the largest faucet in North America. So there.

Toronto, Ontario; meh. Lots of cool stuff to do there, but when I lived there, I didn't have a dime to my name, so ya know, that has kind of stuck with me too. I've been back to visit and have quite enjoyed being a tourist. I'm just not the big city girl that I thought I was or wanted to be when I was there.

Windsor, Ontario; Things Windsor is known for: auto industry, high humidity, high pollution, being further south than Detroit, MI and druken American teenagers (re: legal drinking age in Ontario is 19). One thing I didn't see in skimming the article is rum running. This to me was one the Windsor's most intersting factoids. During prohibition, Windsor was quite the hotbed of mob and other illegal activity. In any event, it was here that I finished up my university degree (much more pleasent experience) and started my life with the constable. We were both students for a little while, then he went and joined the RCMP and before you know it, we're in...

Liverpool, Nova Scotia; Hmmmm...also known for rum running...very eeeenteresting. We've only been here a year but I love it and am quite happy to stay for a while. History is alive and well in the town, as the names in the article are plastered all over everywhere! Currently hosting an international theatre festival, this wee little place has got a lot going for it, not the least of which is the scenery! It's beautiful here, and if you're into full circle moments, it reminds me an awful awful lot of Hawkestone.

7) 6 peeps I wanna know more about:

I really don't wanna rope people into it if they're not up for it. But, if you do want to play along, consider yourselves tagged if you're reading this! Just leave me a comment or whatever if you decide to do the meme on your own.

Guess that's it! And I didn't think I'd have that much to say!

Until later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

see, now, I thought about buying you a green dress, but that would be cruel

:)

lexa said...

Do you happen to have any small bits of Canadiana or acrylic worsted weight in bright yellow or bright orange? A lady was in yesterday and bought a bunch of Canadiana to knit a train sweater. We didn't have these colors. I had the bright yellow, but I must have given it to Donna W at some point, can't find it. Just lemme know. :)