A nice thing happened to me the other day. The fact that I have craft projects from six or more years ago still hanging around unfinished actually came in handy.
My little A is really into flipping through books right now...
...even to the exclusion of playing with other toys, which I have to say, just thrills me to no end. I've been reading to her since day one, so to watch her really enjoy flipping pages and investigating what's inside is just a joy. She enjoys it so much in fact that she likes to have a book in bed with her, which I have no problem with, other than the fact that she might roll over on it etc. while she's sleeping. I couldn't see a small board book doing much harm, though it might prove to be a bit uncomfortable. Then I remembered that at one point in time, I had started a soft fabric book as a project and still had it buried somewhere in my fabric stash.
So I dug it out and as of last night, I have all the pages assembled. I just need to figure out how to do a binding on it. I'm thinking eyelets/grommets. It is unlikely that I'd be able to sew through all the layers on my sewing machine.
I've been able to get back and play in my craft room a little more these days since I packed up the baby swing that was previously occupying the spot that the play pen now is. It's like a revelation. She's quite content to sit and play while we yammer away to one another and I get to exercise some creative muscles.
So I was able to finish a new sleep sack for my sleeping beauty as well. This had been hanging around for months and months, not because it was time consuming or difficult to finish, but more so because I was in sleep sack denial. I don't think I wanted to admit to myself that she had grown out of the other ones I'd made. But the fact that there are bright and cheerful owls on it (and glow in the dark no less) have almost made up for the fact that I've now packed away all the receiving blankets, bibs, burp cloths and baby bath towels.
I'm obviously on a finishing jag at the moment, and because this next project is turning out to be awesome beyond awesome, I'm only giving you a small teaser for the time being. This is my epic Babette Blanket in the process of being assembled, which it now is and I'm just putting the finishing touches on the border. I really couldn't be more in love with it if it were actually Colin Firth (mmm...yummy). I'm quite proud of the fact that I'll have it finished well before little A's first birthday, a baby blanket for my not-so-much a baby anymore. But that's also a lament for another time.
Until later...
4 comments:
How can that little A possibly keep getting cuter? What a doll! Can't wait to see the finished Babette!
My boys always loved books, especially the Oldest One. He still loves them and is an avid reader. The teachers at Milton School still talk about how advanced his reading was.
Can't wait to see the finished blanket. I'll soon have to get some crochet instructions. I'd love to have an afghan or three, and my track record with knit afghans isn't so good.
ah the perfect blog - a bit of craft and a bit of cute baby!
Miss A is gorgeous, and I love that she's areader already!
I too sometimes long for the days of just unknowingly chucking something out (it comes to mind the most when peanut butter jars are empty, or there is a new lifeform born in the fridge!).
I know you haven't blogged it yet -- the the finished Babaette is seriously a work of art! I hope A loves the heck out of it for many years to come :)
Post a Comment