Thursday, March 25, 2010

The 365th Day...

She started out as just a thought. A what if. A wouldn't it be nice.



Then the thought turned into a reality, a squirmy alien in the belly. After a long, long wait, she was there. All pink and puffy and fully formed, looking like me and like him and like everyone on both sides of our families, all at the same time. The world seemed to stop, and there was only the three of us in this cocoon of time and space.



We brought her home and she grew.







She grew and she grew and she grew.





And as she grew, I did too.



She changed me on a cellular level.





I think of all that wasn't here a year ago. The little voice coming from the little bedroom in the morning. The toys taking over the house. All the little books and little shoes and little clothes that mean that there is a little person here who is slowly carving out a space in the world.



And I think about the joy. The pure, uncensored, unadulterated joy that explodes from her being. The belly laughs. The giggles. The never ending smiles. The joy we feel in watching her learn to do the simplest things. The joy in just having her near.







Mostly though, I'm just grateful. Grateful to put her to bed each night under peaceful skies, secure in the knowledge we'll wake up the same. Grateful to not have to worry how I am going to feed her or keep her safe. Grateful that she is healthy and growing and bright. Grateful that, unlike too many mothers around the world, I get to watch her turn one.



I can't and don't want to imagine my life without you in it. Happy Birthday baby girl.



PS: On a less sentimental note, I don't think I ever properly thanked you for helping to clear up my adult acne. Much appreciated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome ! I have no other words! You leave me speechless. And made me tear up a bit.
I wish that every mother felt like you do. So many little people are considered a burden.
How very fortunate little Miss A is!
AP

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Miss A!

P.S. Really? Cleared up the acne? Huh. My girls gave it to me so bad I still have it now.

lexa said...

Happy birthday!! I can't believe you're one already, time sure flies.

And Mom -- it's hard to remember what it was like before her, eh? I can hardly remember what it was like without my two.

Heddy said...

so, so hard to believe sh's a year old already ... seems just like yesterday that that sweet little face came along! She is a doll, and her personality is reflective of her parents ... congratulations to you and M on bringing up a darling one year old!

Steph VW said...

Wow - 365 days of little A. It seems like only yesterday I was watching your blog, waiting for the news, rubbing my own belly and hoping my little Mogrunt didn't decide to be overdue!

It's been a joy watching her grow from this little portal in the internet.

Unknown said...

Absolutely the sweetest baby girl. So glad to have finally met her! Way to go mommy!