Sunday, June 20, 2010

All's Quiet...

Despite the fact that I can go long stretches without speaking to another adult human being, there are some up sides to the constable being gone for ten days. Number one on my list is the fact that when I tidy an area, it stays tidy. I don't realize how much time I spend going around and tidying up little messes (and how much it aggravates me to no end) until I don't have to do it for a little while. I clear the kitchen table and holy cannoly, it stays that way for more than 20 minutes.

Number 2; I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. This just basically means that I can have whatever kind of vegetables I want, and only vegetables if I want, for supper, which is exactly how it's been for the last three nights. The constable hates onions and peppers, so I gorge on them while he's away. One night it was stir-fry. Last night it was a veggie sub. It's been lovely. I don't think I'll eat a single meal of meat while he's gone. Whee :)

That's pretty much the extent of what gets me excited about having the house to myself. The rest of it kinda blows. I guess I could put 'total tv domination' on the list, but really, I only half watch whatever is on anyway, since I'm usually knitting. And when I'm not, I'm asleep on the couch. As long as there is some sort of background noise, I'm cool with it (accept for the vuvuzela. It just weirds me out).

So here's what I've been knitting.



A while back I finished up this little mitered blankie cuz one of my Knit Nite ladies was on a blankie jag and I caught the fever (the cure for which, incidentally, was not more cow bell, but garter stitch). It's sweet, easy, and highly entertaining for a simpleton such as myself, who seems to find endless fascination in watching colours change. Little A started showing interest in playing with her baby dolls ('bee-bees') around the time I finished it, so it's now hers to wrap and unwrap (or smother, whatever) her little darlings in. Also works well for playing peek-a-boo.



I mentioned in my last post that I was in the midst of making an elephant for little A and her cut you to the core adorable rendition of an elephants trumpeting. I think the resulting finished object lives up to that level of cuteness. The pattern is Elijah by Ysolda Teague but I prefer to call him Harry Elephante. Do elephants like bananas? You can't really see them, but he does have eyes. I couldn't find black embroidery thread in my stash, but I'm going to have to make the trip to the dollar store. These invisible eyes will not do. The scarf however...is tres chic, non?



The other day, I was in my craft room organizing. That's all I seem to get accomplished in there. There is always a mountain of crap or paperwork or whathaveyou that stands between me and projects I'd like to do, so I am forever filing and organizing and destashing and very rarely do I get actual crafting done in there. I did an big overall household purge last week (which felt fantastic...I'm on a bit of a tear now) and resolved that whatever yarn I had in my stash at least had to have an intended purpose. If I could look at the yarn and think of a project, it could stay. Needless to say, very little yarn made it out of the stash bins to be disposed of. Anyhow, I got reacquainted with my Zauberball yarn, which I heart, big time, and went hunting on Ravelry for project ideas, other than the obvious go-to of socks. I came across some beautiful shawl patterns at Monika Eckert Wolle und Design. Lovely. This one is the Steife Brise shawl. Again, totally fascinated with watching the gradual colour changes.

That's pretty much it on the knitting front for the time being. Next post, I'll tell y'all about my new toy. Totally addictive.

Until later...

4 comments:

lexa said...

That little elephant is so cute!

I know you aren't as used to not having the other half around whereas mine is only around on the weekends. I always say if he was home on a daily basis we'd probably be divorced, lol. The grocery bill for me and the kids is a lot less when he's gone, and heaven forbid I should cook a meal with no meat in it. And messes... don't even get me going, lol!!! (And tv for me is a lot like you, but there are four of 'em here that I can bounce around to if he's annoying me with baseball.)

Terri said...

I was going to check and see how you were doing with all the "me" time. Bill left on Thursday and won't be back until Sunday afternoon (next). I agree with all your points - house stays clean, no cooking unless I want (I made mini-bundt cakes for supper!); the tv domination thing isn't a biggie here. Of an evening, I just wait 5 minutes for him to fall asleep then get the remote back. Anyway, I love all the alone time. Sabrina is beyond depressed, though. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oooo...I love the elephant. Your blankie turned out marvelous and I can't wait to see the shawl. The colour changes already look sweet. I think your other half gets all his bad habits from his father. He's the king of messes. He did make a yummy dinner tonight though. Miss you all.

Donna M said...

The elephant is adorable! I almost want to make one but with 5 grandkids I fear I would have to knit 5!
I agree with having the house to yourself for a while. Nice!
Curious to hear about your new obsession.