Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Girly Girl...

There will be people out there who deny what I am about to say until they are blue in the face, but sometimes stereotypes turn out to be true. I don't know as I would have wholly believed it myself until my wee one came into my life but there are just innate, fundamental differences between little boys and little girls. In my case, my little miss A is all girly girl.

I will admit that I have zero issue with dressing her in pink at any and all opportunity. I delight in doing her hair. Dresses make me all squishy inside. And then of course there were the 20+ pairs of Robeez in her closet before she was even born (cut me SOME slack, most of those were hand-me-downs). That being said, I also delight in watching her get dirty when she plays, buy her Tonka trucks and get equally squishy when she sits down to watch football or hockey with her dad. My mantra from day one has always been if she's happy, I'm happy.

But try as I might, she really does dote on her baby dolls to the exclusion of the Tonka's. The first time I took her into Payless, her eyes got as wide as saucers, her little index finger pointed in the air and she let a breathless 'SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEESSSSS' escape from her tiny mouth. I brought a bag full of summer clothes home from Walmart (of the Damned...can't say Walmart without adding that at the end) and she trailed after me wailing until I realized that she wanted to inspect and examine the contents. There she was, sitting on the kitchen floor, holding up her outfits and smiling with approval. You can't teach this stuff.

Then there was the day that she started doing this;



That's just a little plastic bag that some doll accessories came in, but one day, I happened to glance up from whatever and there she was, parading around the house with her little bag in the crook of her elbow. Shortly after that, I picked up a little silver clutch from Frenchy's and today, miss Fancy Pants had to have it with her at lunch.


The lady who lunches

She's all about mimicking now, wanting to do what I do. I think it's fantastic. Watching her learn something new every day is really the most incredible part of being able to stay at home with her as I do. She'd been wanting to use my broom and dustbin prior to our trip to PEI, so I had it in my mind to get her her own little set of cleaning tools. I remember playing with my own when I was a child and just the mere fact that they were scaled down for my size delighted me. Sure enough, I found a complete set at that fabulous toy store I mentioned in my last post.



Best...purchase...ever. There hasn't been a day pass since that she hasn't swept or mopped or toted her little cleaning bucket around. She even learned how to empty her little dustbin in to the garbage. Best part? That's the only time she ever opens the garbage. Hysterical.

Domestic goddess in training

I've even conned her into doing her own laundry. 'Bout time she started earning her keep around here.



After a long, gruelling day of housework, a little preening is in order. Always best to keep up appearances.

All in all, she's a hoot. I can't get enough of her. I could go on all day, but I suppose this will suffice for now.

Until later...

5 comments:

Steph VW said...

And, at the boy end of the spectrum, is my boy, who, when first presented with a small car, picked it up and immediately started making engine noises ("bbbbbbbb"). I did not teach him that noise, he did it instinctively. He saw an old engine on a beach, ran over to it and sure enough, "bbbbbbbb!" How did he know? Because he's a boy.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree, there IS a huge gender difference. And little Miss A is all girl! Hopefully a Prada will appear under the Christmas tree with her name on it.....LOL
I love the pics, thank you !! AP

Heddy said...

I love the housework pictures ... maybe she'll stick to it into her teens?

She is too frikking adorable with the purses too, and the picture of her filing her nails is so so so cute! You have a gorgeous wee one there, A, and she is definately a girlie girl!

Anonymous said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! I love how Miss A has the same broom that Dash does (It is also one of his fav toys, though I confess he likes the mop more). I love how there are a few glimpses of me in your home (Miss A's sheep bib and the purse). And lastly I love that you are willing to say that she is a girly girl and that's just how it is. (Dash loves his cars and loves not his dolls).

The Ninja Knitter said...

Aieeeee! So cute! It's amazing how much pink can fit into one room, eh? And yeah, some of the girly stuff is definitely chromosome related.