Luckily for the one or two remaining followers of this blog, some of my Christmas gift knitting has already been received and opened, so I am free to share what I've been up to.

First up a pair of pink socks, Par 5 is the pattern. I quite liked this knit. Impressive results. Knit for a friend of mine who wanted to gift them to her sister. I hope she was pleased.

Next, this irresistible little guy that I knit for my nephew for Christmas. I'm really not one for monkeys, they just don't do it for me, but I have to admit, I was thoroughly charmed by this little fellow. As was little A. She kept chatting with him while he was being constructed and assembled. Methinks she might enjoy one of her own.

For my niece who is a huge Tinkerbell fan, a pair of Tink slippers. Just regular felted slippers with gigantic white pom-poms. I have to say, I was pretty geeked about these once they were assembled. I was told that they were such a hit that they had to accompany my niece to bed the night she opened them up. Now that is high praise indeed.
There has been various other items in there as well, some of which are still in transit and some of which I unfortunately did not photograph before they left my possession. C'est la vie.
Now here is where I ask for some advice. It's of the parenting variety, for those of you who may be so inclined. My daughter likes to screech. You know the kind, that high pitched squeal/scream that only banshees and toddlers are capable of. It started out as just a means of exploring her vocal range and has quickly turned into a way of torturing me, since I have a very low threshold for noise. I had tubes in my ears as a child and was VERY sensitive to loud noises back then and have since discovered, still am today.
This screeching...it goes beyond just annoying or bothersome for me. It's like drilling an ice pick into my temple that somehow finds it's way to the very core of my being. And since she is a) my child and b) my daughter, she innately knows just how insane this noise makes me and now uses it to express her frustration and displeasure when she doesn't want to do what she has been asked or told. A couple of weeks ago, she was so incessant with this bloody sound that it literally gave me a headache. For days.
I'm sure that the effect that this screaming has on me is exacerbated by the fact that we spend ALL of our time with one another. My husband doesn't *quite* get the full effect, answering my pleas of cessation with 'she's a kid. Kids do that.'
So my question to you, dear blog, is how do I make it stop? Or am I doomed to just have to live with it until she outgrows it? I really really don't like it. As a matter of fact, I hate it. I hate it in the house, I hate it with a mouse; I hate it in the store, please little A, no more. She's a good bean, and really, this is my only complaint, so I consider myself lucky. But it does drive me nuts.
Anyhoo, hope y'all have a good holiday, yo. Catch you in 2011!
Until later...
4 comments:
Sorry, Marti, no advice - commiseration only! I have to mute that commercial for diapers or whatever it is with the screeching babies lest I throw the remote through the tv to get it to stop.
Merry Christmas!
One of my grandsons did that. Very annoying, especially in a restaurant where his mother ignored him but everyone else in the place was going crazy with the noise! :))
I will agree with the previous poster, no advice but she will outgrow it!
Sorry to hear about the screeching. I am so glad that neither of mine screeched often--doubly glad, because I guess I was a screecher when I was little. And I know that I often tell myself to ignore unwanted behaviours and they'll eventually stop, but so far I've been unsuccessful at actually ignoring them! I hope she outgrows it quickly. Good luck!
I know I am late to the discussion, and she's probably outgrown the screeching already (here's hoping for your sake anyway), but I DO have advice! And it is this:
You are the parent. You don't have to put up with anything from a child that you don't want to. There is no reason that any child needs to scream like that unless they are in pain (my mom always used the phrase "No screaming unless there's blood"). Breaking the habit may take time and a bit of commitment on your part, but it is totally doable.
Tell A that when she screams like that it hurts your ears, and that you don't want her to do it anymore. Tell her that if she chooses to disobey you then you will send her to her room (or somewhere where you don't have to hear her) and she will not be allowed to come out until the screaming stops. (If you really want to go hardcore about it, you could also add that when she comes out she will be expected to apologize to you for hurting your ears with her voice). It seems too simple to work, but it will, as long as you stick to it! Kids are smart, and empty threats don't work with them. You always have to stand behind your rules.
I hope it goes well. Sorry for the novel! I'm long winded.
Post a Comment