At least that's what I keep telling myself to stave off insanity. It's been grey here in Nova Scotia since November, and one can only keep a stiff upper lip for so long. Enough already. This is like the non-existent spring/summer of '09 that nearly gave me xenophobia I had to stay indoors so long.
So...another extended blog absence. This time due to another unexpected trip back to ye olde Ontario in April for a family funeral. My husbands grandmother passed away at the tender age of 98 years, a strong and darling woman whom I was very glad to know for the past decade. Little, Dutch, with a beautiful smile and a remarkable life story. She will be celebrated in the younger generations and missed by all.
That said, there is very little to report on the knitting front unfortunately. I've got a bad case of startitis at the moment, and just can't seem to settle on any one thing. There have been acquisitions however.
I wasn't expecting to do any yarn shopping back home as there really aren't any yarn shops, at least not the calibre of the ones I'm now quite used to here, plus I wasn't interested in lugging back a bunch of additional cargo in our already overstuffed luggage. I knew we were going to be doing clothes shopping while we were there, so I allowed room for that and little else.
However, my BFF sent me a link to a little hole in the wall yarn shop that was (in no way) on the way to the city we were planning to do our shopping in. So I made a little detour to check it out. Gotta support local business, right?
To my delighted surprise, it wasn't just yarn but also spinning supplies, so I stocked up on bobbins, which I needed, and overstocked on fibre.

The big pink bump is Corriedale, the bright orange and pink is silk and the remainder is natural Shetland that came from the sheep of the lady who owned the wee store where I bought it all. I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but I don't think it had ever occurred to me that there were brown sheep. I'm anxious to spin it up and see what comes of it. Very excited about spinning the pink. There's 8 oz and I'm waiting until I have something rather special in mind for it before I sit down at the wheel.
I did have the presence of mind to grab a cake of sock yarn in my packing frenzy and damned if I didn't get almost a full pair of socks done while I was gone.

I'm not sure what brand of yarn this is since my online bloggy friend ChickenBetty sent it to me a few years back, sans ball band. Anyhow, they're lovely fraternal twins and I refer to them as Northern Lights, cuz they kinda remind me of what I think they would look like were I ever to see them. (aside; pretty sure I saw them once when I was very young but it was so long ago now that it's a rather hazy memory).
And that, I gotta say, is pretty much it on the crafting front. I was so chilled the other day just going to the grocery store that I resolved to come home and knit some fingerless mitts, which then sent me into a spiral of despair because no one should think fingerless mitts in the middle of May. Even after four years, I really don't think I've acclimatized myself to the Atlantic coasts' version of spring.
Thanks for hanging in there for anyone who still is. Until later...
6 comments:
i thought for sure that I mentioned they had spinning supplies...ah well ;)
Every time lately that the forecast calls for sun I say I'll believe it when I see it. It always changes. We did have sun for what - an hour? - the other day.
Love the socks, I've never had sock yarn stripe like that, I like it. I only remember ever seeing the Northern Lights here once when I was maybe 12ish. I remember it was creepy to me at the time, I was like, "What is THAT?!?"
So glad to see that you're back and blogging !!!!! AP
the sun will come out soon - I promise! Grey skies are gonna clear up ... put on a happy face! Those socks are stunning ... you should have knit them at the Retreat!
I feel inclined to agree with you. I don't think the sun will ever come out again!
And I do think this is the worst spring we have ever had!!!
Dude, I feel your pain. Seriously. The lack of sunshine is crazy-making. I was knitting thrummed mittens last week. For me. 'Cause my fingers were cold.
*crawls into the corner and weeps a little*
Post a Comment