Saturday, July 30, 2011

Someday...

Someday I will be able to start and complete a project without interruption.

Someday I will no longer have tools adorning my living space (like the air compressor that has lived in the landing upstairs for over a year) and I won't have to pass it off as 'reno chic'.

Somday my husband will work a nine to five kind of shift and we'll see him more.

Someday this house will be done. I might not be living here by that time, but it'll be done.

Someday my daughter will understand the concept of 'I'm on the phone.' Probably not until that becomes important to her though. I think when she's a teen, I'll stand by her and pester her with questions, insist I need to use the washroom THISVERYSECOND or, ya know, just scream for no reason.

Someday she won't shove the last wedge of her banana in her mouth all at once only to spit it out again seconds later in a choking panic. Seriously, how many times does one need to do this to realize maybe I shouldn't do that anymore?

Someday I'll read a book again.

Until then, I'll satisfy myself with getting things done at a snails pace. Remember this dresser? Well, I didn't end up taking an axe to the whole thing, just the drawers. No seriously. It sat in our shed for the longest time, then finally, in the spring, when we were doing a big clean-up, my husband brought me the sledgehammer and said 'It's time.'

By then, my rage had quieted and I thought to myself, 'well, it ain't all bad.' We stood there, contemplating, discussing, and suddenly, an idea dawned. So I took the drawers out and off to the burn pile we went, sledgehammer in tow. I smashed the hell out of the drawers and man, did that ever feel good.


I got out the orbital sander one afternoon and went to town. I wasn't overly concerned with getting it right down to being totally bare, but just wanted to rough up the finish enough that it would take a coat of paint. I managed to get most of the finish off, except for the really fine, tricky spots.


Yesterday I did manage to get two coats of primer on it (in between potty breaks and lunch and filling up the water table and chasing after an AWOL toddler on deck and getting out her own paints so she would be less fixated on 'helping' me paint) and I think it's really starting to take shape. Now I'm just waiting on the constable to cut me some plywood shelves to fit into the drawer slots and I can put a couple of finish coats on it and it'll be done. The master plan you ask? Toy storage. Small house + livingroom x complete toy takeover = loss of sanity and visual clutter. Bins and baskets on the floor were a good solution when she wasn't as mobile, but now that she's up and about and much more able to get things out on her own, I think this is going to work well. Shelves, with some baskets or boxes, will, I hope, be much neater and more efficient.

Speaking of painting, here is the artist at work.


These were just cheapo-filipo paints I picked up who knows where. I think it's time for finger paints.


She really immerses herself in her work.

OH, and in other exciting news (well, exciting to me), I grew a cucumber :)


Of the four tomato plants and one cuke plant I have on the deck, this is my first harvest. We had some last night...very tasty. Much tastier than the ones from the supermarket. I've got lots of tomatoes coming now, and about a dozen more cukes on the vine, so I'm looking forward to an August full of fresh veg. This gardening experiment has gone rather well, so the constable and I are planning a plot for next year.

Well, I should go figure out something to do on a rainy day. Anyone else panicking that it's practically August and that means summer is almost over? No? Just me? Alright then.

Until later...

2 comments:

lexa said...

I said yesterday to someone that summer is half over. It sucks.

I've got zucchinis growing. :)

Donna M said...

Great idea for the dresser. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
And yes, summer is half over before it has actually been here for more then a few days or so. Maybe it will last longer on the other end!