Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Ahhhhhhhh....

That would be a contented sigh of relief.


My little weekend project is complete and I know have a shiny new(ish) toy storage solution.

While I was working away on it, I had another idea.


Either side of this cabinet was just begging for some sort of clever upgrade. At first I thought chalkboard, but then I remembered that this was going in my livingroom and I didn't necessarily want to encourage chalk use near my furniture or carpet (we've already had one incident that I'd rather not repeat). So I went with magnets. Here's how the primer went on. Black. I was a little worried that the white wouldn't cover it.


But it did. And it works. Not great, but it works. The magnetic force is pretty weak, but it serves it's purpose. I'll just get heavier duty magnets if we plan to put up pictures or anything like that. For now, for her number and letter and animal magnets, it works just fine. They say that every coat of the magnetic primer increases the magnetic strength and the directions recommended three coats, which is what I did. Before the top coat the strength was pretty good, but after two top coats of the white, it was weaker. Since the topcoat covered as well as it did, if there is a next time with the primer (which there likely will be...I barely used any of it) I'll do more coats.

Total cost of this project; $24.99 for the magnetic primer. That's it. Everything else I had on hand (including the handy-man to cut the plywood shelves for me). Once it was all assembled and complete, I thought of a couple of other improvements. 1) Some funky contact paper for the shelves and 2) maybe some curtains for the front. So there I'd need the paper and a curtain rod. I'm sure I could find some fabric in my stash that would do.

Anyhoo, glad to have that out of the way. Onto the next project.

Until later...

7 comments:

lexa said...

Magnetic primer, who'da thunk it? Pretty cool, well done. :)

Donna M said...

Great job! Very impressed am I! Look forward to seeing it in person. :)

Anonymous said...

I love it !!!!! Great job.
I didn't know there was magnetic primer...awesome.
I love Miss A's hair, so pretty!!!1
AP

Heddy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heddy said...

Swanky!

Steph VW said...

So, so, so smart! We're doing some painting in our kitchen and I'm hoping to make my pantry door into a chalkboard, but ooooh, magnets. how fun!

(A toy bookshelf saved our living room too.)

ana said...

magnetic primer, what a neat idea! i didn't know about it. and... cute project!