Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Dead Rat...

Are you like this? You think a line from a movie is amusing, so it gets stuck in your vocabulary for a while? Around those closest to you, it becomes an in-joke, a common phrase you throw around.

Well, one of little A's favourite movies is A Bug's Life. There's a scene in the movie when Flick has just arrived in the bug city and there's this millipede that's essentially a city bus, being driven by another bug. The bus driver calls out a series of stops as the bugs are boarding and he ends with '....and Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Rat.' I don't know who started it, us or her, but either way, my wee girl now goes running around, randomly shouting out 'Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Rat.' We think it's hilarious, but I'm just waiting for the day when she does it in public and someone asks me, 'Did she just say...Dead Rat?' For now, she's too busy announcing to the wide world when she's successfully used the washroom in public, so I think I'm safe for a while.

So the summer is gone. Just like that, over. Even the weather seems to have gotten the memo. It was a beautiful long weekend, wherein I holed myself up in our spare bedroom to get it painted and cleaned in prep. for company coming this month. Two full days and once I was done, the weekend was over and the sun was gone, only to be replaced by the grey cool and damp moniker of fall.

Le sigh.

We had a nice summer. It's never long enough though. We had the grandparents visiting for two weeks in August, which little A thoroughly enjoyed, then we went on a little family vacation of our own to Cape Breton.


This is us, being all family-like and having a good time.

More company is coming this month, which I'm really looking forward to. My BFF is coming and bringing her wee baby girl, whom I can't wait to hold and snuggle. That is, if little A allows it. She seems to have collided head on into the terrible two's and it's making me a little nuts. I thought teenage girls were emotionally unstable. They've got nothing on her.

But you're here to see knitting I suppose. Time for a little catch-up.


Our knitting group did a little KAL with Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket. I tried this pattern out a few years ago, and it made zero sense to me, so I put it away and scoffed at the 15 000+ people who seemed to have figured it out. To be honest, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I didn't think it was quite as cute as everyone was gushing about. Then one of our members made one and I got to see and hold it in person. It was itty-bitty and adorable. She also de-mystified the pattern by letting slip that the seam was at the top of the sweater, whereas I was of the belief it was at the underarm. So I decided to give it another go. And voila, sweater achieved. I will admit, it is an addictive little knit.


Also finished my August socks for my Self Imposed Sock Club. I don't think it shows up in the photo, but this is the Berroco metallic/shiny yarn. It sparkles. It's beguiling. Or I'm simple. Either way.


I also made a hat a while back, a slouchy sock yarny one, and it's actually making me kind of glad that the weather is getting cooler, because I really like wearing it. And I've decided that at 33, if I haven't got a hairstyle by now, then I'm giving up. This summer I found a head band that actually stays on my head and I don't think I've taken it off since I bought it. Head bands and slouchy hats...problem solved. Now if only bathrobes were a socially acceptable mode of dress, I'd be all set. It dawned on me this morning that I should probably do some fall shopping for myself. Ugh. I hate shopping. Maybe I'll get my arse in gear and actually go to the city rather than resort to Reitmans, the only option around here. Oh how I loathe Reitmans. And yet my closet is stocked full of it. Anyhow...I could do a whole post on how pathetic my wardrobe is.

Well, I managed to get through almost a whole post melt-down free. Back to reality. Until later...

5 comments:

lexa said...

Wait til she yells dead rat in a restaurant, lmao! Hilarious!

School started = cooler weather.

Anonymous said...

No frigging way, you did it! Yeah you! You
conquered the Surprise Jacket! I am surprisingly happy for you considering that this means that I am officially now the sole member of the 'Zimmerman Surprise Jacket Failures Club'.

I am so happy that I'm throwing in another Yeah You!

Anonymous said...

BTW, one of our family sayings is LaLaLoo a la Dinosaur TRain

Donna M said...

Looks like you had a lovely summer and some of us, mainly me, really look forward to fall!

Love the knitting stuff. Congrats on the BSJ!

Steph VW said...

When you come to the city, call Spirit Spa and tell them you want an appointment with Terri. She is my hair goddess. She does my hair and then calls me a yummy mummy. She's awesome and sweet and a mom herself. Come in, go shopping and get your hair done. You'll feel like a million bucks. And while the hair cut will cost you um, about the same as a couple skeins of Trekking sock yarn, it'll be worth it.