Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Green Mile is so long...


It's a sad day here in our household. Froggie, aka Heff, aka Frogbert, aka Mr. Jingles, our beloved amphibian, has gone on to that big lily pad in the sky. I'm not sure exactly when he expired. It could've been while we were away for the weekend. It could have been yesterday, when temps. reached into the thirties and since Biff agreed to change the furnace filter, I waited till he got home to turn the air on. Perhaps I waited too long.
In any case, Heff is no more. For a while, we were convinced that this day might not ever come. He was just a regular tree frog, plucked unceremoniously from a golf course and transplanted to a terrarium where he outlived his life expectancy by a good four to five years at least. Once a cheerful sort who chirrped at the sunshine, he had grown lethargic and tired looking of late. Perhaps world weary and more than ready to shake off this mortal coil.
We more or less inherited him as a member of our household. He started out as Biff's cousins pet, then I believe he may have taken at turn a Biff's brothers place for a while. He spent a great deal of time at Biff's parents home, where he was lovingly cared for and talked to daily. When they went to Holland on an extended vacation, he survived the trip here to Windsor, where he's been for a year or so now.
We did the best we could, but I suppose he was always a little fragile. I felt bad for him though. Not much light in our living room, not much room to roam. I did build him a ladder though, and every evening after his tank timer switched off his light, he would jump from his platform to the ladder and take that hour long climb down into his pool (he took it reaaaal slooow). Once there, he would just kind of hang out, watch some tv.
But to be honest, I think I kind of knew that the end was near. He just didn't seem all that excited about his last bunch of crickets. Usually he would hunt with a great deal of enthusiasm, but the crickets lingered in the tank weeks after we bought them, and Heff seemed to pay them no notice.
In any case, farewell frog friend. You certainly were a facinating and, oddly, frequent topic of conversaion. I'm sorry I scared you that one time when I came near the tank to talk. I'm sorry we didn't clean out the tank a little sooner. Perhaps your last few days would've been a bit more pleasent.
I really wish I had more to say, as I find it a bit creepy to be in the living room, knowing you're dead. But dealing with you will be Biff's job when he gets home from work. Ish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he's gone! We were just talking about how awesome he was! ....R.I.P Heff