Tuesday, May 23, 2006

May 2-4 road trip sock...


I didn't bring the camera with me, so unfortunately there are no 'in progress' photos, but I truly did knit this mostly in the car on our long weekend road trip. I made Biff stop at Micheals on the way out of town Friday morning so that I could purchase some cheapo-fillipo (name of a restaraunt in town which I've co-opted to mean anything cheap) yarn, because of course, despite the numerous balls of whatever in my stash, I truly had nothing to knit. Apparently, the big M has stopped selling any kind of sock yarn altogher, so I settled for this TLC acrylic baby yarn, which, yet again, because of my limited camera skills, you can't really see how shiny it is, nor can you see the flecks of colour.
I cast on shortly after we left the Windsor city limits, on our way to Kingston via a stop in Whitby to meet up with Biff's brother and sister in law. They were going to drive us the rest of the way to Kingston where the sister in law's sister lives! Did you get all that? Do I need to construct a flow chart?
In any case, I was glad I brought a project along because the weather was absolute crap, as it has been since, lets see...dirt was new? It's been for freaking EVER! Rain, rain, rain, rain...break...more rain, cold, crappy, wondering if they cancelled spring altogether. I'm a bad passenger as it is, so anything to keep me occupied makes Biff quite happy.
The first leg of the trip was mostly uneventful, until I unwisely rejected the opportunity to pee, foolishly thinking that our first destination wasn't that far off and I could wait until we got to Whitby, as public washrooms just give me the creepy crawlies. Bad choice. We got stuck in rush hour, long weekend, insane Toronto traffic and we ourselves became creepy crawlies, moving like an inch every fifteen minutes. This is the part of the story where I get very cranky and desperate and at one point began to whale on Biff as he thought it might be funny to tickle me in the midst of my mood. I tried not to complain, knowing full well that it was my own fault for not seizing the day when I had the chance. But as I am sitting there in traffic trying to keep my cool, I am absolutely seething with rage at how civilization was never meant to be like this...logjammed on a highway, stuck in little metal boxes on wheels, desperate to escape. It just isn't humane.
In any case, we eventually got to where we needed to go and then onto Kingston where we spent a very enjoyable weekend amusing ourselves indoors, despite all of our grandiose hopes of being able to enjoy ourselves outdoors. It was a beautiful spot on a little lake too, with all the opportunity to have campfires and sit outside. But, that's the nature of the May 2-4 weekend I suppose. Just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. And what we got a one point was hail. Or frozen rain, depending on who you talk to!!
I did knit a bit whilst visiting and got the majority of the cuff done and the heel and most of the instep. From Kingston back to Whitby I didn't knit at all, as we drove in the dark. But from Whitby back to Windsor, I managed to finish it. From about Toronto to London, I finished the foot and shaped the toe. I was done grafting when I looked up and saw the Chatham-Kent sign, signalling that we were on the home stretch. And once we reached the edge of Essex county, the sky opened up with this brilliant sunlight and the in car thermometer went up four degrees. Just in time for us to have suppper and wind down from our trip.
So all in all, an incredibly pleasent weekend and I'm glad we went. I did have one very important fact reitterated in my travels though...Ontario is big. Very big. Like crazy big. We drove a total of eight hours, not including break time, and even though we started at the very southern tip of the province, we still weren't anywhere near to it's most northern tip, even at our final destination. It's something you always know, but until you actually drive it, or some portion of it, you just don't really think about.
Big. Crazy big.

No comments: