Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Getting caught up...

Being sans camera SUCKS, so here are a few projects I've either finished or am working on currently as I have recently gotten a film developed. Woot.



This is my first attempt at lace knitting. I picked up this ginormous ball of red laceweight yarn (at least I think it's laceweight!) at my friendly Value Village, where it was languishing in obscurity. The colour is so vibrant and the wool itself is so soft and warm. It's knitting up very nicely, although I'm not 100% on what it is I am actually knitting. I think it might be mohair. I'm not too edumacated on such matters though, so it's only a guess. As I am a craptastic photographer, the diamond pattern that is so pretty and delicate in real life is almost completely indistinguishable in this picture. Grr. I lifted the pattern out of this awesome book that was also languishing in obscurity at my friendly local library called Knitting Lace, A Workshop with Patterns and Projects by Susanna E. Lewis. I think it has something like 98 sample in it. I thought about knitting all of them to begin with...and then I woke up.

I wanted a project that would be nice and long that would take me the entire length of my internment here in the black hole of technology, so I settled on a long wide scarf. I wasn't too sure whether I would have enough yarn for a wrap or a shawl, but I'm positive that this scarf will encircle me a good two or three times. I would ideally like to have it finished in time for Biff's graduation, as the scarf is red and he'll be wearing red...uh, see the theme there? See what I did just there?? Yes, I'm very clever.

As you can see, the diamond pattern repeats four times across. The first repeat is a bloody mess, but it took a good deal of my time and concentration just to get that far, so I left it. I like the fact that I left it there too. It's a good reminder that not everything I attempt will work out the first time, but with time, will get better. Until the next time I'm not paying attention, then I'll mess up again like I did in the fourth or fifth repeat. But no one will ever know. Accept my mother, who seems to instantly spot these things no matter what. Case in point: I wove a scarf for her last Christmas with the tiniest of mistakes in the weave where two ends got crossed. I figured she'd never even spot it, cuz I'm the crafter and she's not. I'll always see the mistakes first. She opened it up, took two seconds to look at it and said, "Oh, what's this?". Yep. If it isn't one thing, it's your mother.



This is the Mason-Dixon mitred square inspired afghan. I had the wee neice in mind with this project, as her room is orange and again, with the quality of the photography, this orange blanket looks red. It isn't. It's Home Depot orange and white. I totally dig it. I'm not usually that drawn to really bright colours, but this blankie is a lot of fun. It's her Christmas project and I have it posted over at the MD KAL. I'm not too worried about her seeing it before the big day. She's just discovered her feet, so I think web surfing is a ways off yet. Besides, it's much more impressive (or disappointing as it were) in person.

And that's it so far. Currently I've started my Christmas knitting and it's going rather well accept for the ________ that I started for my SIL with the _________ wool that I picked up the other day. I was going to do a __________ but then settled on a _________ which just isn't working in my favour, as I wanted to attempt a really nice cabled pattern, which I haven't ever really done either. Hmmm. This blog is going to be a bit sparse during the holiday season, I can tell. I'll have to come up with a better system for blogging about gifts.
Until later...

2 comments:

ChickenBetty said...

Ha! I LOVE Mad Libs :)

Marti said...

Feel free to fill in the blanks!