It continues to rain. And rain and rain. As I sit and listen, I think about how much rain they aren't getting back home. Farms farms, everywhere farms, and not a drop of rain. Crops and their progress are a large component of conversation back home, and I was privy to an update or two during my stay. The corn wasn't as high as it should be, the beans are looking burnt and the strawberries were short lived. I used to drive the backroads around my hometown, for hours, when I was an angst-ridden teenager. Around and around the same circuit, always past the fields, either full or fallow. I think I rather miss that landscape.
So I'm at odds as to what to do today. Reno work or craft work? It's a tough call. Especially with the bounty I've received of late.
Check this out! Everything but the small pile in the middle are what people have given me. Just handed it over and said, 'Here, make something. Enjoy!' I have wonderful crafty friends.
This pile is from Carrie. I aquired it during our all too brief visit while I was home. The Simply Knitting and Bust mags are from jolly olde England. The 100% wool is Freedom Spirit. She's a super sleuth when it comes to bargain hunting and found this Granny Square issue of Womans Day after I mentioned that while I'm not huge into crochet, I wouldn't mind knowing how to do a granny square or two. I also scored some pea coat buttons (I'm all about the anchors) and some nautically-inspired hair ties. She knows my penchant for all things nautical and I think she gave them to me because the packaging says 'Smooth Sailing!' on it. Too funny. Also included were three mitred squares for the Frankenblankie Project. Nice work!
Next up is all me. I had what the Yarn Harlot might describe as a bit of a 'falling down' at the Interweave Press website. Three back issues, all on sale and about a minute after I ordered them, I forgot all about it. Until the hubby told me over the phone while I was away that a couple of packages had arrived for me. This was one of them. Can't quite recall why I got the summer of 1999 one (with the couple on the cover) as I can't see the constable and I wearing matching cardigans. But, after flipping through it, it seems as though I may have picked it up because of a few 'maritime' themed projects. I'm a complete dork.
The fabric is my half of the funkified stuff and the yarn is Fleece Artist ends or seconds or whatever...it was on sale, it's soft and I now wish I had bought both hanks that were sitting in the basket near the counter. I think it's mohair and I have absolutely no idea what to knit it into.
Thirdly, we have the generous offerings of a one Mrs. Chicken Betty, quite possibly the nicest person I've never met! Three hanks, one wool, one sock yarn and one, uh, she told me and now I forget. It's a blend at any rate. And it's awesome. Again, not sure what I'm going to knit it into. Maybe I'll just carry it around as it is and make it my pet hank. And I'll name it Hank. Also got a bit of fabric which will fit in nicely with my other pet fat quarters, some more buttons and some lucious pink ribbon which I actually have an immediate use for!
All in all, this should save me some money in the long run. I've got enough here to keep me busy for a good long time. Big ol' thanks to you two for being so kind. Looks as though I might have to invest in a swift and ball winder though....
Until later...
1 comment:
oh you are a lucky girl - there are some gorgeous yarns there!
Post a Comment