Alrighty then. This is very yarny in nature, so for those of you who find this whole yarn business downright boring, move along.
This is my Ravelry story. Had to share.
At first I was afraid, I was petrified...no wait, that's someone else's story.
At first I was skeptical about the whole thing. I don't buy a lot of designer yarns or work on really complicated projects, so I thought that perhaps I would feel a little left out. Kinda like high school. But I still wanted to play.
Prelude; I've been working on this black cardigan for my sister in law and the pattern I am using is A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave's Winter 2006 issue. I really really didn't like how the pattern was constructed, so I decided to go my own route. But I was looking for some help. So I think I spent about three evenings combing the internet looking for someone, anyone who had made some modifications similar to what I had in mind. The biggest one being doing away with the hood and continuing the cable detail from the fronts around the collar.
Back to present day; I get my Ravelry invite and as I'm checking out the features, I decide to do a search through the patterns to see who else is knitting Arwen as well. 92 projects in progress. Hmmm. A few clicks here, a few clicks there and BINGO, someone else has done EXACTLY what I am hoping to do with this sweater. I found it in about four minutes. And dern near everyone has made major modifications to the pattern.
So I'm a convert. In the biggest way. I didn't know that I was such a data entry geek until I started breaking out all of my needles just so I could enter them in my needle database. I can see that large amounts of time are quickly going to disappear. Just like they did last night.
I came home from shopping and hadn't eaten lunch yet, so I put my bags down by the door and made myself a sandwich. I decided to check my mail, got my invite and didn't look up again until about seven pm, when it was time to make dinner. Even my husband is getting to know and normalize the sort of yarn craziness that is knitting. He came home at one point, just to check in, (he's a cop, he drives around a lot) and noticing all the shopping bags strewn about and me curled up on the couch with my laptop asked, 'Whaddya doing?' 'I got my Ravelry invite today' I replied. With an 'oh' of understanding, he promptly left.
So before I lose an entire day, I'm going to put the computer away and do actual work. Until later...
3 comments:
More or less, that's what happened to me too. The main difference being that most of my projects are not being worked on by scads of other people...but I am getting close to finishing a black kimono.
Had I not entered my collection of needles, though. I would never have known that I have 5 1/2 pairs of size US 8s. I just started knitting in February and already I'm strung out all over the place.
I so told you it would be worth it!
Me too! I love ravelry now, although i haven't really modified any patterns yet. i found you through Carrie, who happens to be from my hometown. i have yet to enter my needles or yarn, but i like knowing there are others doing the patterns i'm doing!
Post a Comment