Because of our current living situation, with a house under huge renovation and us in the tiny apartment that is attatched, I was firm in my decision that yes we'd get a dog at some point, just not in the immediate future. I didn't think it was fair to a puppy to be in a cramped apartment nor did I think it was a good idea to have a puppy around potentially hazardous materials.
That didn't deter the constable though. We'd go over to friends house and guess who would end up playing with their dog most of the evening? Then we dog-sat a couple of times, and I'll admit, it was nice to have a four legged friend in the house once again.
Truth be told, it wasn't just our living situation that made me hesitant. The constable wanted a German Shepherd, and I wasn't crazy about having a big dog. More than that though, my heart still belonged to this guy...
Maury, the beloved Jack Russell terrier that belonged to my husband and his family.
I was there from the beginning. My husband has pulled this trick before. He wanted a dog for his...25th birthday? 24th? Man, how long has it been? Anyhow, it was a birthday. I was sure it wasn't going to happen. But lo and behold, he got a soft little lump of attitude and personality in the shape of this dog from his parents. He was a family dog.
We didn't get along right away. My husband and I had just started dating and the puppy was brand new, so I think we were kind of fighting for rank and attention. I never won out (jk). Long story short, Maury is the most affectionate, well natured and suckiest dog you'll ever meet and I love him dearly. I mourned him the most when we had to leave Ontario. Mostly cuz I couldn't talk to him and tell him how much we missed him, like we could with everyone else. No opposable thumbs...makes it difficult to use the phone. I felt like bringing a new puppy into the house was the ultimate betrayl. I've discussed this with my MIL, with whom Maury lives, and we've agreed that it's probably best not to tell him.
So where was I? Right. The occasion of my husbands 30th birthday was fast approaching, Oct. 12th, and I had no idea what to get him. We had company coming and that was my primary focus. During all of this, the constable finds out that there is a breeder of German Shepherds in Shelburne, about 40 mins. away from here. For about a week prior to all of this, he's on their website checking things out. So finally, I decide to get in touch with the lady in Shelburne, unbeknownst to the constable, as the info on her website says that she's expecting a litter to be ready to go in the spring. The timing worked well for me.
As it turned out, the info. was outdated and she was actually expecting a litter on Oct. 18th/07! I told her we were interested, and as I didn't have time to go and check things out on my own and I wanted the hubby to be in on it anyway, I let him know what I was up to. I told him his birthday present would be that we'd go and look at the puppies once they were born and to consider the trip more of an information gathering session than an actual committment to get a dog.
Well, the mama dog, Gaby, surprised everyone and delivered four males and five females on, would you believe it, Oct. 12th. If that ain't a sign, I don't know what is.
This past Friday we went and looked at the puppies. They're so small! I can't believe they get to be as big as they do. We met the mother, Gaby, and the sire, Dasko, both beautiful dogs. I wanted to see them in person to get a feel for just how big they can be, and, well, it's not so big. The lady who breeds them was a wealth of information and I felt pretty good about the whole thing. So needless to say, we left a deposit. We'll have second or third pick of a male, as there are a few people ahead of us, once the puppies are ready to go.
I still get a little weirded out about the whole idea of purchasing living beings. It just doesn't seem entirely right. And being in the presence of the mother, who was incredibly protective of her pups, seemed somehow cruel. She kept a close eye on us the whole time, as we sat in the kitchen and discussed Germand Shepherds in general. She wasn't vicious or mean, just knew where we were at all times. And this may be just me, but there seemed to be a look in her eye like she knew what we were there for, and she didn't like it at all.
In addition to all of this, the breeder lady also had a Dachsund, or Weiner dog, which is the kind of dog that I've always wanted. Her name was Trixie, and she came and curled up on my lap almost immediately. So on the drive home, the constable and I struck up a deal. He gets a Germand Shepherd for his 30th, and I get a Weiner dog for mine. There is just no point in knitting sweaters for a German Shepherd. It would be redundant. Weiners though...now they need extra layers.
Anyhow, the puppies will be ready to go by the end of November. The other stipulation was that this house project needs a good kick in the butt if we're to have a substantial animal very very soon. Not surprisingly, all of this was agreed to. Now we're in negotiations over a name. We're playing around with German names, the front-runners being Gherhardt and Heinrick. Who knows.
So that's the exciting news.
Until later...
Addendum: Turns out the breeder lady made a bit of a mistake...there are five males and four females, rather than the other way around. Actually works out better for us anyway...more males to pick from! Anyhow, had to add a pic she sent along of all the boys together. Wonder which one we'll get? Thanks also to everyone contributing names...great suggestions! I'll keep y'all updated.
8 comments:
Congratulations! I'd love a dog but with two cats I'm apprehensive to add another fuzzy body into the house.
Those puppies are adorable.
That is exciting news! What fun. I just spent the last five minutes Googling male German names. (Yes, I do have plenty I need to be doing, but that was more fun.) I believe that Heinrick means home-ruler. Hmm, who would be in charge? For the Weiner pup, how about Dachs...means badger. I am happy for you both.
An aside here: I've looked at the patterns for vegets. more closely and some are entirely knitted. I'd love to send the patterns your way and who knows, you are such an accomplished knitter, crocheting may not be that hard for you to pick up. Anywhoo, if you'd like them, just shoot me an email.
Go Doggies!
Congratulations fraternal twins again!
aww ... congratulations -- cute baby pups!
I love to look for names -- how about these?
Panzer
Information about this name:
Meaning: German armored fighting vehicles of World War II.
Personality Plus: For an aggressive and well built pet.
Schatzi
Information about this name:
Related Name:Schatzie
Meaning: German term of endearment. Means little darling.
Personality Plus: Like darling, honey or dear.
Schnapps
Information about this name:
Meaning: Variety of strong liquor usually associated with Holland
You could call him Schnitzel ... it would be cute to have "Weiner" and "Schnitzel" (in anticipation of your weibner dog!)
Congrats! I don't have a dog, though the husband and boys would love one. (I get nagged all the time cuz he wants a Valley Bulldog.) I have three bobtailed cats, two are going to be 12 in April, and the other one just turned 9. I've never had a dog since I've had them, but they've been around dogs somewhat and aren't very partial to them at all.
PS I meant to say how well the hat turned out! I must try one like that sometime. I like the whole reversible thing.
That has to be the goofiest picture of Maury ever. It's one of his smiles for sure. Don't worry.....we won't mention your intentions when he might hear. He doesn't miss much.
OK... so I read the title and I was excited for you (I fell for the we're expecting!)... then I read further and I was SUPER excited for you! I remember when we were "expecting." We announced it the Thanksgiving after we got married. We let everyone know we would have a new little one in the spring... it wasn't until dessert that we let on that it was a Jack Russell!!!
Post a Comment