Is it really Tuesday already? I'm totally losing track of the days over here.
So Sunday night I was ambushed by the lovliest bunch of ladies. I walked rather unkwowingly into my sorta surprise baby shower. I say sorta cuz I knew two of my good friends were planning on hosting one for me, but I wasn't sure when. Under the guise of a potluck couples supper, they roped me in and I fell for it hook, line and sinker.
When talk of the supper started, I volunteered to make a main dish, lasagna. To their credit, my friends tried to steer me in the direction of dessert, which is my usual choice for potlucks. But lasagna it was. All week I've been hamstrung by a lousy cold, which of course I can't take anything for, and waffled on whether or not I was going to be able to go at all. But I managed to feel alright by the time Sunday rolled around and made the aforementioned lasagna.
The constable came home a little early from work to drive me and the lasagna down the road to supper. As we approached, I noticed a lot more cars in and around the driveway than I was expecting. I said to him, 'How many people were invited to supper? I didn't make enough lasagna to feed all these people.' He played dumb of course and it wasn't until we were fully in the driveway and I could see in the window that I realized it was a baby shower for moi.
I was a truly lovely and heartwarming surprise, although I felt so sheepish as I hadn't put myself together as much as I would've liked. I was dressed in my comfies, just jeans and a gigantic hoodie and my face was all red and blotchy from my cold as I figured make-up was futile if one has to keep blowing one's nose. But no one cared.
It really was quite wonderful to be in the company of everyone who arrived and surrounded by so many who were truly excited and happy for myself and the bump. And the constable too. I received so many wonderful items, all of which are much needed and appreciated. I'd post a pic, but that would mean I'd have to take one, which would mean I have to get up and I'm sorry to admit that the cold has me beaten down once again.
But the story isn't over. I have yet ANOTHER event to attend. My yarny compatriots have conspired to throw me a shin-dig tomorrow night as well, during our Knit Nite get together. I'm one lucky little (not so much) pregnant lady I tell you. So many good people.
For now though, I'm going to crawl back into bed, see if I can't shake this bug. I'm hoping it doesn't stick around too much longer. Only 22 days or less at this point, and I'd rather only concentrate on being labour or having a cold...not both at the same time.
Until later...
5 comments:
Keep your legs crossed til March 1st, I'm sure your cold will be gone by then!
My Littlest One didn't get to school yesterday or today, and the Oldest One is home today, too. He's getting a rotten cold, and mine is coming back, too. That time of year, I guess.
Really looking forward to tomorrow night! Can't wait to see what everyone has made. I know what some of them are knitting, but since we can't post anything yet I'm anxious to see them finished!
So pleased to hear your shower went well and sorry I was unable to attend but we had a surprise birthday party for a good friend of ours that same day!
Looking forward to Wed., so I hope you are feeling well enough to come!
vicks vapour rub girl - seriously!
Hey all you lovely folks out there. Thanks so much for looking after our girl. Our kids are so far away from us that we feel pretty useless. I guess all of you are in the same boat, at least the constable's workmates, and have banded together. It's very heartwarming.
A Note From the Oma to be
Hang in there sweetie. Winter can be such a had time to be at the end of pregnancy but once that little Pinta arrives you are going to blink and summer will be here and you'll be out in the yard with her and Hank and the Constable and loving it all.
I'm so happy for you.
Lots of love!
Post a Comment