For my husband the other day it was the car window shade we bought for the baby at Canadian Tire. Purchased it, brought it out to the van, put it up, didn't suction to the window with the little suction cups. A six dollar piece of crap item that you just want to work didn't and I could see that silently, ever so subtly, he lost a little tiny part of his mind.
For me, it's
this dresser. I hate...this dresser. Hate. This dresser. It was a cast off from my grandparents farm house after they had both passed away. I needed a dresser, or chest of drawers of you will, and so by default alone, inherited it. It came with a vanity table too, one that was so obviously made early on in the 20th century when people were much much smaller than they are today. I hated it too. Hated. It. It had this gigantor mirror and practically no space in which to do anything and it got crammed into my already over crammed room at the time and it just took up space and collected dust and I poured contempt and disdain all over it until I finally unburdened myself of it shortly after it became my possession.
The dresser, unfortunately, was a different story. I couldn't just get rid of it cuz at the time I had no means to replace it. So it has travelled with me for two moves now, this decrepit, ancient eyesore of a thing. It's full, it's in use, but every time I look at it I see the chip in the finish and the water stains and the dust it collects from intentional neglect and I just seethe.
I rarely use the bottom two drawers. Partly because I've sort of forgotten what is in them and partly because I'm convinced that whatever clothing might be there, likely doesn't fit me anymore anyway. But the biggest reason is that the drawers simply don't function. The drawers are simply boxes fit into slots and because this hideous monstrosity is older than old and the environment of late has been wetter than wet, you may be able to coax a drawer open but you'll be damned if you try and get it closed again.
Enter white hot raging crazy person. I went looking for a t-shirt. Which I found. In the drawer. Which will not close. I am not above admitting to you that I have actually beaten up the dresser before because of this very problem. This time I was able to restrain myself to mere fantasies of taking an axe to it, busting it up into smithereens and setting them ablaze whilst dancing around in a drunken reverie. Which I've decided is exactly what I'll do when we get new bedroom furniture, perhaps sometime this fall. I think it'll be cathartic.
Until later...
7 comments:
Buying grown up bedroom furniture was something I'll never forget. I still love the two dressers I bought at Lake City Woodworking (my favourite furniture store, cause it's non profit), and can't help but run my hand over them. The only new furniture I have ever bought! And yes, I can understand your huge blinding rage as well. For me it's that little bit of paper House Man tears off the Weetabix and leaves by the sink when he opens a new pack. I HATE that little piece of wrapper, it taunts me.
Looks like a dresser set that my parents had. My dresser, that we bought new 39 years ago, has a bottom drawer that has lost it's runner and so falls out when I open it. Like you, I try not to open it. I think of all the other things I could get, rather than spend money on a dresser and that makes it better!
Hilarious, and well written my dear! Oh and no, that whole crazy thing, never, ever happens to me. :) Ever.
oh I know, maybe you would love it more if you could decoupage it?
You go girl!!! I hope I can be there for the bonfire. Wait until next summer for that...okay? In the meantime, try a little candle wax on those wood runners. Or maybe a lot of candle wax. Perhaps a little sanding might help as well. See you soon...can't wait. P.S. The dresser drawers in your bedroom here run really, really smooth.
Your MIL
*sobs* I'm not ALONE!
What a relief to know I'm not the only one.
For me it's the tiny corner off the new bag of milk, left on the counter - whether I do it or Mr. Happy does it - I get upset at both of us.
It's also any number of things that set me off. If I was a comic book character at those times, I would be the incredible Hulk, raging about socks left on the floor, complaining about cables left all over the house, flinging un-marked cds into the garbage... sigh.
Have you ever considered writing to add to your list of ....not a craft...but a profitable venture. I read a lot and your description was beautiful. Sure made me chuckle...with empathy of course..
Post a Comment