Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Counting Down...



So let's just take care of business right off the hop. There have been requests, so here she is, in all her knitty glory. She's right at the perfect age where all of the wonderful knitty stuff that she received for her shower and some of the items I made many moons ago in hopes that one day someone tiny would model them for me now fit. In the next few A related posts, I hope to showcase these lovely items. First up is this little pink bolero knit by one of my blog-free (and therefore shall remain nameless) Knit Nite compatriots. Adorable.

Little A is eight months now and just so damn smart it blows me away. Thus far, we have mastered feeding oneself finger foods, sippy cup, rolling over, being adorable and infectious giggling. We're moving onto standing. Got places to go people. I think she just got over a bit of a growth spurt too, cuz she was grumpy grumpy grumpy (in addition to not sleeping) and my efforts were all for nought. At some point, the most valuable pearl of wisdom about parenting that I ever heard (which came from my sister-in-law) crossed my mind; just when you think that you can't take it (it being whatever may be going on at that moment) any longer, it'll change. And so it did. That happy, ever laid back and contented baby has returned. All's right with the world again.



Now this. All I can say is Ididit Ididit Ididit Ididit. Little excited. It's my advent calendar. I actually frickin' did it. I started and finished the sewing yesterday, in between naps and feedings and playing-withs and diaper changes and instructing the father-person to keep an eye on the offspring. I even have handmade ornaments, though only about a half dozen or so, so far. I still need to attach some numbers to the pockets, but I have all of the supplies and hope to get that piece of the project done tomorrow.

How it'll work is that there will be an ornament and a treat in each pocket, (and as wee one gets older, a little card with a Christmas related activity on it, ie. baking cookies, going sledding, make hot chocolate, read a Christmas book etc.) and the ornament will go on the little tree there (the one with the green lights on it...the other is a salt and pepper shaker. There is a top and bottom half. It's wonderfully cheesy) and the treat will, of course, get eaten. For now, the treats are purely for the constable's enjoyment. He is a big kid himself, after all.

The greatest thing about this project? I had all of the supplies in my stash. I've had the Christmas fabric for years and have been waiting for the perfect project to break them out on. The canvas backing I bought with another project in mind, but never got around to it. And the empty wrapping paper roll...well, that's pretty self explanatory. Actually, it's only temporary. I've misplaced the wooden dowel that I know is around here somewhere.

Anyhow, I'm pretty pleased with myself. It's very Christmas-crafty, but I'm okay with that. I think I may be entering that phase of my life. My most immediate phase needs to be sleep though, so I'm off. Until later...

5 comments:

lexa said...

She's as adorable as ever! Love the calendar, wish I was handier with a sewing machine.

Donna M said...

What a little doll and thank you for putting up a picture of Miss A.

Great little Advent calendar. Everyone will have such fun with it for years to come!

Anonymous said...

That would be 'a' for adorable! She pulls pink off very well indeed.

I really like your advent calendar, but I really LOVE how you plan to use it. The activity cards are so damn clever, fun and family oriented and well they are enough for me to consider one for our family.

Heddy said...

I love today's post -- it has everything! Adorable baby picture, interseting craft item (love the advent calendar) and stories about said cute baby's accomplishments (love the infectious giggles) ... see, everything!

She is so cute in that bolero ... I lookforward to more knitwear modelling for the sweet Miss A

The Ninja Knitter said...

She's SO cute! Love that hair. And pink suits her. The advent calendar is sweet too.