So I bought a spinning wheel. It's the new toy I mentioned a few posts back. A friend of mine was looking to sell hers, so I took it for a test drive and was instantly hooked. I had taken a spinning class (of the wool variety, not the cycling kind) a while ago now, and while I was smitten, I was left with only drop spindles to play with and they really didn't do it for me. I had been contemplating getting a wheel for a long while, but was really hesitant to spend that kind of money on something I wasn't entirely sure I'd be any good at. Enter my knitty friend, who's wheel I had played with before, and was selling complete with lazy kate and bobbins.
There was also some fiber in that deal and within two or three days, my experimentations lead to this. About 175 yrds. of the green and 100 yrds. of the candy cane looking stuff. I really have very little idea of what I'm doing, but it's fun and yeilding interesting results :) Spinning enough yarn to actually knit something out of it, I'm learning, takes a good while.
So naturally, as with any new toy, it's hoarding all of the time an attention. Very little to speak of on the knitting front. I started a sock yarn blanket, just garter stitch miters, and despite the lace shawl and the double-knitting scarf I have on the needles at the moment, the itty-bitty squares are what I seem to be gravitating to. Perhaps it's the appeal of mindless summer knitting.
Since I seem to be up before the baby this morning, I think I'll sneak into the craft room for a little spinning session. Until later...
4 comments:
Very impressed! Your yarn looks pretty amazing to me!
DUDE!
Welcome to the dark side. I do hope you're going to make some space in that lovely craft room of your for a fiber stash...you're gonna need it. :D
she looks very happy at your place ... and your yarn is awesome (I swear you were a spinster in another life!!)
thank you for the needle recommendation! i'll have to keep an eye out for those, i love knitting socks. if you're on ravelry and would like to add me, please do (username "imadeitso"). i like looking through projects for inspiration.
and my heart skipped a beat when i saw your little beauty here! happy spinning...
Post a Comment