I'm waiting for the cable guy. And my daughter is with the sitter this morning, so I find myself in that weird place of total autonomy and no clue what to do with it. So why not blog.
A good friend of mine just had her first baby about a week ago, coincidentally enough, on my birthday! How thoughtful of her. Back in late summer, knowing that I was going to knit for her, she asked if I might be able to replicate the baby blanket that her grandmother had knit for her in her infancy. She managed to find the original pattern amongst her grandmothers things and sent it along to me, along with a paint chip of the colour she wanted (she's a decorator...very organized which, as a knitter, is extremely helpful).
With vital info in hand, I went hunting for yarn and found a nearly perfect match in colour in the Drops Super Fine Merino Superwash wool. Which was delightful to work with I must say. After a little design discussion, my friend decided it would be alright to drop the frilly border, since she knew she was having a boy. Here is the final result;
Very smooshy, very comfy. I was quite pleased that it was done in plenty of time for shipping too, as I was worried that I wasn't going to make it.
When all was said and done with the blankie, I had a few balls left over and decided to complete the layette with a little sweater and hat.
Baby Sophisticate sweater with just a basic baby hat. This was one of those baby projects that just sorta followed me a round for a while after I knit it, so that I could paw at it and look at it and just generally gush about how freakin' adorable it was. Yes, incredibly cute indeed until this showed up in my inbox the other day...
My birthday buddy wearing my hand knits. Just too much. He's being swallowed up by yarny goodness, as all babies should be really. I'm glad he's got room to grow. You really never can be sure with wee ones what's going to fit and when.
As I said to my friend, it does my knitterly heart good to see my hand knits out in the world, being put to good use. It got me to thinking about all the baby knitting I've done over the years and always I get pictures back of the little cherubs wearing my handiwork. There's a lot of yarny love out there.
All of which is making me sorta itch to start making something for the newest bean in my life, the one that is giving me indigestion and a never ceasing back ache, interrupted sleep and spontaneous bouts of weepiness. I have a terrible case of startitis at the moment though. I've got about 3 or 4 projects on the go, and my attention keeps wandering. I keep getting pulled back into wanting to knit another sweater for my daughter, which to me is the definition of insanity, as we all know her feelings on hand knits. It's like an obsession with me...if only I could find the right combo of pattern and yarn, she'd suddenly come around and worship wool like I do. Alas, I don't think it's meant to be. She keeps leading me on though. Her latest request is that I knit her new versions of her favourite bedtime pals, Pinky and Bluey. More on them in another post.
For now, I'm going to go troll Ravelry, actually finish a full cup of coffee and continue to wait for the cable guy.
Until later...
1 comment:
Too cute!
Besides your A, I don't know what has really ever been used on babies that I've made and gifted. I saw a baby blanket that I knit for one of my nephews used a few times. Other than that I've never been sent pictures of any of them or seen them in action, it all remains a mystery.
Post a Comment