Friday, February 03, 2012

Under the Wire...

Well, it only took three years, but it's finally completed.


I started this project in September of 2009 when my daughter was...7 months old? I chose size three years knowing it would take a while, never anticipating that I would get it done just in time for her third birthday. Crazy. I really, honestly and truly have no idea where the time went. And really have no idea why it took me so long.


I don't find Fair Isle all that complicated. Particularly once you get your fingers around two handed Fair Isle, it goes quite quickly and is a very satisfying kind of knit. I guess I just kept getting distracted. I know I hit a few spots along the way with this sweater where I got frustrated and put it in time out. This all had to do with my inability to count to three during the body part of the sweater. Drove me crazy.

Anyhow, with some hand holding from a fellow Knitterpudlian, I even conquered my fear of hacking at my knitting with a pair of sharp scissors.


It's actually quite exhilarating. Totally counter-intuitive but the result was well worth it. I've caught the bug now, I want to do more colour work.

All that being said, my daughter still hates hand knits. She may look happy in the above photo, but that's really only because I'm taking her picture. She'll do just about anything to get in front of a camera.   She wanted it off immediately after the photo shoot and yes, there were tears (neck is a little tight). Oh well. I'll keep trying. I can't help it. Maybe the next one will like wool and appreciate fine craftsmanship. I'm not holding my breath though.

Until later...

2 comments:

Donna M said...

It looks lovely and fits her beautifully! Crossing fingers and toes that she will come around and LOVE it!

lexa said...

I still don't think I could do steeking. (I'd have to give it to DW and let her do it for me when I wasn't around, lol.)