Friday, June 02, 2006

Not Smart, but Stupid...

I've kind of run out of craft projects at the moment, so my attention is wandering of late and I'm beginning to notice things that really bug the crap out of me. The muggy weather could be a contributing factor.
Last night on my way home from ASL class, I was stopped at a red light, waiting for the oncoming traffic to finish making their advance left turn. I saw something that, if you had been in the car with me at that moment, would've made me go real quiet and just shake my head in pure, unadulterated disgust. A Smart car. Lord knows I hate Smart cars. And if not him, then Biff has sure heard a boat load about it.



This really is the most retarded design concept I've seen in my lifetime. Of all the brilliant minds out there trying desperately to come up with something, ANYTHING which will alleviate our fears over our impending oil shortage and in a nutshell, Armageddon, the end of civilization as we know it, this is the best that they could come up with? This car inspires no confidence in me whatsoever.
I'm willing to concede that perhaps I've got my thinking all screwed up. Maybe you're supposed to have a Smart car purely for commuting back and forth to work if you live in or just outside a city. But other than that, I really don't know what the hell else you can do with it. Where would the groceries go? Luggage? Crap I pick up off the side of the road from time to time? It's a Smurfmobile. I think I'll buy one, paint it bright blue and put a giant white cap on the top. I'd still look less ridiculous than the grown men I've seen driving this thing on the 401. (Can you say death wish? I know that you can).
Which brings me to my other point. I have yet to see these damn things on the highway. One stiff breeze generated by an 18 wheeler flying by at 130 km/h (at the low end of the spectrum) and this thing goes into orbit. I drive a '94 Lebaron convertible and I don't feel all that safe on the 401. I can't imagine how I'd manage in a popcan on wheels. But, if you believe the advertising, then the Smart car should be able to hold it's own.

Oooooooo, look at the Smart car, with the world flying by at breakneck speed. Dude, you are so cool now.

But if the popcan is just too 'soccer mom' for you, then perhaps you would prefer one with the top popped.

I sure hope that's an automatic top. I don't think I could handle that baby if it were manual, despite the fact that I tower over the top of the vehicle by a good foot and a half at least.

Lets face it...we've become, at least in North America, an SUV nation. How can we ever go back? Believe me, I get equally disgusted when I see a Navigator sailing along (usually with a Michigan plate, no offense to my American friends) with one middle aged woman of slight build in the entire vehicle. But are Smart cars really the answer? Do you honestly expect me to go to Costco in this thing? I'd have to have my three gallon ranch dressing and my 100 pack of Tampax sitting in my lap on the ride home. I just don't see it happening.
Don't even get me started on snow. This is Canada after all. Granted, I live in the banana belt of Ontario, so a big dump of snow is a rare occurance anymore, but still, there are days when it's unpleasent to be driving around. Considering that the clearance of the undercarriage of the Smart car is about four inches from what I can glean from the photos, then yeah, I see this being a practical vehicle for the eight months of winter we get.
If the pendulum is beginning to swing back the other way, and small cars are what is in our future, then why don't we kick it old school? Forget the Smart car. I say bring back the Chevette.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Marti said...

Hey anonymous...I just happened upon your comment. Thanks so much for your kind remarks. I wish more people felt like you!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

jwight said...

So, 2 years on and the updated smart 451 is being sold all over North America; have your views changed any?