Saturday, May 05, 2007

They Say...

...that Rome wasn't built in a day. But our main bath was certainly destoryed in one. Allow me to illustrate...

This is a before shot of the vanity (which our real estate agent said reminded her of a '70's truck stop bathroom...yeesh), wood panelling, awful linoleum and some very strange shelving arrangement.

This is the before shot of the tub surround. If it weren't so bloody dirty and disgusting, I'd be very tempted to keep it (no, not really) because it's so cheesy. I could build on a theme like that.

This is what was revealed when we began destorying the place. Just as an aside I would like to state for the record that just because I am the one taking all the pictures doesn't mean that I'm not in there getting my hands dirty. Quite the contrary. People, I have found a new passion in life...tearing stuff apart. And I thought that creating things was satisfying! Hoo boy, this is equally addicting. If you ever, and I do mean ever, have the opportunity to tear down a wall and it's not something you've done before, don't even hesitate. Just have 'atter.

Here's a close up of one of the many layers of wallpaper hiding underneath the wood panelling, not one of which was the least bit appealing. Seriously, does simple paint EVER go out of style?? And if someone can explain to me the logic of wallpaper in a bathroom (or carpet in a kitchen while we're at it) I'm all ears. But I digress...

Finally we get to the many many slats that have to be torn out, until by around seven pm last night we get to this...

...and this (where the tub used to be)...

...and this...(where the toilet used to be)...

*Equally as satisfying as tearing stuff apart is throwing that stuff out the window
The flash didn't go off for this pic, but you get the idea.
So that's the main bathroom upstairs down to the bare bones. I helped on this one, but the constable managed to get the downstairs bath, which will eventually be our laundry/utility room, gutted all by himself. That bath didn't need as much destruction as the main one, as it's been redone fairly recently, but the set up just didn't suit our needs. It had a built in shower and a washing machine, which was so wedged in that it looks as though they literally built a wall around it.

Here's the before... ...and after looking through my picture files, it looks as though I have yet to take an 'after' photo. Later today I promise.

So there you have it. I'm quite impressed that we've gotten this much done so far. Hopefully the finishing work won't take that long either and we'll have a house that's at least functional while we go from room to room finishing up the rest.

It seems also that I failed to impart on some that there is an apartment attached to the house that is all updated and finished that we are living in for the time being while we work on the house. Here are a few photos I took before we moved in.

The apartment is the little jutty-outty part on the side of the house there.

The itty-bitty kitchen...

The itty bitty bathroom...

Living room...

Bedroom closet...I'm telling you, I can't take decent pictures of rooms, though it is difficult to get the right perspective in a small area.

So there you have it. Time to get back to work...
Until later...

No comments: