Friday, September 07, 2007

Dust Bowl...

So we're back at it now, the little break from the never ending renovation project is over. And so is summer apparently. It's been very cool here the last week, definitely getting into sweater and jeans weather already. As I said to the constable the other day, it's a good thing I like to knit, as it seems the season for wearing knitwear is extremely looooong here on the South Shore.
But anyway...you came here for WIP pics.

So this week was the moment I've been waiting for since we bought this junk-heap (and I mean that in the most loving way), sanding the floors. Rather than put down newly manufactured flooring, we took up the sub floor to see what we were dealing with, which to refresh was this...


Guest Bedroom


Master bedroom


Landing

Plank floors, a little rough and uneven, but with lots of potential. So we thought, what the hell, let's take a crack at refinishing them and see what happens. I never wanted them absolutely perfect, as I think it wouldn't fit the overall character that we're striving for, so whatever the end result, it has to be better than partially painted and somewhat stained.

We've only just finished the first go around with the sander, and I already think it looks better...


My job is to go around with the small handheld sander and get all the nooks and crannies that the floor sander can't get to, due to the uneveness of the floor. I find this job oddly enjoyable. Except for the dust. Oh the dust. Everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE with the dust. Sawdust that is. We were both just covered in it once the day was done, the hubby moreso than I as I only contributed about an hours worth of sanding after work. I guess it takes about two to three weeks to completely settle too, which is AWESOME! I'm really looking forward to sweeping and mopping and sweeping a mopping and sweeping a mopping. Ah well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We didn't have much stuff set up in these rooms anyway, and even at that, it was still all in boxes. We moved everything into the one bedroom that we don't plan on sanding the floors in, as it was an addition and doesn't have the same kind of plank flooring underneath the subfloor that is currently just bare and exposed. So here is where some of our earthly posessions are calling home these days...



Somewhere underneath all of that is our bed. And just to give you an idea as to how out of whack my priorities are when it comes to crafting, some of my clothes are on the bed in suitcases behind a barracade of boxes and a variety of other objects, whilst the the tote that carries the meagre sum total of my yarn stash...



...is right by the door.

Until later...

3 comments:

scarletti said...

Superb! What better place for it? Good priorities!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's looking pretty good. Looks like it takes a super duper sander to get right in there. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Ma and Pa

ellen said...

Those floors are going to be so nice and well worth all of your hard work and the sawdust storms you are having to endure.
It's good to keep your stash close at hand where you can get to it in a second. Hope your weekend has been good!