The siding. The siding is done. I really can't believe it. It would've been done weeks ago, but we were waiting for some material to materialize and it was delayed, then the guys moved onto another gig in the meantime and, well, now here we are after three days of work and it's done.
The front needed new shingles over the porch, some siding pieces around the chimney (of what use this is, I do not know, as there is no wood stove or the like in the house...if anyone has any ideas, feel free to enlighten me) and finishing of the trim stuff on the peak dealy there (these are highly technical terms).
I don't know if you can make it out in the picture on the left, but the dormer over the apartment (upper window) also needed to be finished up. And now it's done too.
Then there was the back...oh the back.
Call me crazy, but I believe a house is a living entity of sorts. It can look sad and forlorn, especially if it's neglected. Houses can look mean and nasty too, if those who dwell within it are such. Don't you think that this house looked a little sad when we bought it? And now, doesn't it look like it's standing up nice and tall, as though it's a little prouder of itself?
I spent the day in the yard cleaning up the remnants of the work that's been done in the last month or so, tidying up some branches and getting ready for the lockdown that is winter. It was a beautiful day today, warm and breezy with that awesome golden October sunshine that I just love so much. Every once in a while, I would look over at this crazy house of ours and think 'it's done'. Not entirely done mind you, but the big stuff is over. The stuff that I thought was so insurmountable, so far beyond our perview that it felt as though it would just go on forever. And just like that, it's over.
All we have left now is the inside, which is entirely cosmetic in nature, with the exception of some pretty minor electrical work. We've ordered a tub for our main bath in the house, the electrician is coming on Thurs. or Fri.,(hopefully...everyone keep their fingers crossed...he always says he's coming and then doesn't...and yet we keep calling this guy...WTH?) and I've started scraping the paint off the stairs as my next little project. Suddenly, everything seems managable, and, dare I say it, as though it's coming together. I know that this is a never ending project, all houses are like that, but I can actually see a day now, in the not too distant future, where we might actually move into the house part of our house. How messed up is that? To think that I may actually unpack ALL of the boxes...well, I don't think I'm quite ready to go THERE just yet.
Anyhow, had to share. Knitty stuff tomorrow.
Until later...
4 comments:
Oh, I think that she is beautiful, and yes, rightly proud of herself. Good bones and a shining soul and she is ready and willing to embrace, comfort and love the family that has been so good to her.
Think of all of the voices (and barks of joy) that will fill her. Think of the wonderful aromas of home cooked meals that will waft down her hallways. Think of the small daily miracles that she will experience.
Oh, Boy...just think of the Christmas traditions that will begin here...on and on! Good for you. This makes me happy for you!
looking good! I am trying to figure out where it is ... but am drawing a blank!
Perfect timing to finish the outside ... the warm days won't be here for too much longer!
I wonder if that chiney is for your oil furnace? do you have oil? or maybe it isn't a chimney ... some homes have larger than normal "stink" pipes to exhaust the fans in the house
I know who's house you have now. It's looking good. I was never inside it, but I know where it is.
Hope to see you tomorrow night at Knit Nite! Trying to decide what to bring. I'm working on some socks, but these ones have short-row heels, and I'll need the computer for a tutorial since I haven't conquered them yet. Maybe I'll bring them, work as far as I can, and have something else for backup, should the need arise.
Your house seems very proud of itself now.
My house is jealous.
Post a Comment