Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Little Corner of the World...

So am I like the only person in blogland who DIDN'T go to Rhinebeck? Sheesh. Everywhere I turn there's pictures and stories and oh the fibre. I won't bother linking anything, just close your eyes and start typing and sooner or later, you'll land on someone's site where they've linked to a hundred and one other people they met at the festival. Note that none of those links link back to ME! Ack...I'm so going next year.

So this post is partly an attempt to encourage the powers that be around here (namely the constable and myself) to get a move on in creating a creative space for moi. Not a bathroom with showering capabilities in the house or a closed in living room to keep the heat from escaping at the moment, no...my biggest concern is a craft room. At the moment, the sum total of my crafting space consists of this...



This is my corner of the couch, don't even think about sitting here and besides, why would you want to when the possibility of being poked by various and sundry knitting accoutrements is a very distinct possibility. That's right, this is where the magic happens...all that knitty magic. Facinating, isn't it?



I've been feeling a might claustrophobic in my corner of late. My stash was getting a bit out of hand and was overtaking the space. Claming it for it's own. I get into spells of intense productivity (I happen to be in the throes of it at the moment) and inventiveness, and when I do, there is a bit of what I like to call a craft explosion. I quite literally take everything out and spread myself out all over the place.


Self-multiplying stash...I had nothing to do with it...

This is all well and good and a lot of fun for me, but the flip side is that I can't stand visual clutter. It drives me batty. And this being such a small space, it doesn't take long for me to get really quite irritable about the whole thing, despite it being entirely my own doing. So yesterday I figured it was about time that I spent a moment or too with my stash.



As it turns out, I have been in stash denial. Granted, I may not be as far gone as some, but it's all relative, and since I always thought of myself as a one project at a time purchaser of yarn, this surprised me a bit. I found a number of items that I had not exactly forgotten about, but certainly had purchased with no intended project in mind, like I usually do. There's a pile of Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran that, well, I just had to have and now, I haven't a clue what I could possibly create with it. Next to it we have a few skeins of gift and mystery fibre. Love the gifts, nothing thrills me more than being given yarn. It's like being given premission to not do anything other than sit and knit. Which, to be clear, if I haven't been up until now, is my favourite thing to do. The mystery fibre is a Fleece Artist mill end and I'm going to take it to Knit Nite to see if anyone there might have an idea or two as to what it might be. I'm afraid it's destined to be a pet skein...I so love the colour and the feel...it's really heavy and soft (if you can make it out, it's the pinky thing laying near the edge of the fouton. It's in my 'natural fibres' pile. In addition to crafting, my other hobby is organizing...I know, the geek factor just keeps adding onto itself).

...

Where was I? Right, yarn...well, there's a lot of acrylic and wool in there and then there is my little pile of sock yarn. What is it with sock yarn anyway? Why is it so enchanting? I love it and fully acknowledge that I love it but have no clue why. It's a mystery. In any case, this is all just stuff I've accumulated since March, when we blew into town. None of this is what I brought with me. That tote was already full. Looks like a new tote might be in order. There were so many bags with yarn and projects on the go...



...that one actually escaped to the other couch.

After getting re-aquainted, I re-organized and re-bagged everything and put it all away again. A little tidier this time.



I still long for a craft room though. I'm dangerously close to setting up a make-shift one for the time being, as Christmas crafting is upon me and I have tonnes of ideas, a few of which involve sewing and weaving. Hmmm...yeah, I see that happening today actually.

Until later...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been mening to comment for like 2 weeks but I'm always checking my bloglines in the morning before I goto work and by the time I get home I forget.
1 The house looks great
2 I can't believe he took the laptop
3 Awesome news on the puppy - I heart german shepards - only topped by my love for weimaraners.
4 those socks are too cute - I made a pair for my youngest from the same yarn
5 your niece is capital A adorable
6 Yes! you should come to Rhinebeck - you can come stay with me and we'll go together!!! Free lodging and food - think about it!
7 your stash is capital A adorable :)

you have inspird me to clean up my "in the house" craft space and post a few pics. right, as soon as I finish the girls halloween costumes and clean the rest of the house :)

lexa said...

Glad I'm not the only one feeling the *pang* over Rhinebeck! Why does nothing cool like that go on around here?!

That's quite a stash you've got growing there since March. I'm scared to assemble mine and photograph it cuz hubby reads my blog. He'd faint if he saw it all together. It's kinda spread between two closets, and some of it IS store yarn. (See, I'll justify it somehow!)

Heddy said...

there is no such thing as too much yarn ... that looks like a nice sized stash! Good variety, sufficient bulk to it to keep you occupied in the event that you can't get out of the house (for a month! could happen!)

My guess at the pink mystery skein from Fleece artist is that it is Fleece Artist Country mohair ... I have a green one similar to it, and had a beautiful blue/purple one ... so soft!

Donna M said...

I am afraid to get my stash together in one place, for fear it would overpower the room! I keep buying yarn and have great plans for it until I find another project that I just have to start!

I have a dear cabled sweater for your cashmerino aran. The red ones I did take 6 or 7 balls, depending on the size you make and it so soft the little ones love it!

ellen said...

No, you are not the only one. I will never get there..but I have been to the Black Sheep Festival in Oregon..although that was years ago. I did love it!
Yes, the yarn, et all takes over the house, it truly does.
I don't know how I did it when we lived in student housing...300 sq. ft. maybe? But, then I was mostly sewing. I wonder how many pins my children swallowed?

Anonymous said...

Ummm I didn't go either... but you know what would be funny (well sad funny but still funny) is to pretend you went and blog about it anyway. I mean really who would know. Kay, I am tired give me a break.