Monday, October 29, 2007

What's In a (Dog's) Name...

I just received some new photos of the pups this morning, and it got me to thinking up a little scheme. First, gratuitous puppy photo:



Not sure if this is a boy or a girl, but it is a photo of one of the pups with their eyes open and you can also see how fuzzy they are getting!

When we first went to look at the pups and consequently, put down a deposit, I sort of forgot all about it when we got home. I knew that we were getting a dog, but it just didn't seem all that real or pressing. I'm gradually getting more excited as time goes by. I ordered an audio book yesterday on some dog training techniques and we're trying to figure out where we're going to put a dog crate in this puny apartment.

Anyhow, onto my little scheme. We're still in negotiations over the name and we're pretty much concluded that we'd like to actually have the dog before we decide, (want to get to see him and get a feel for his personality etc. etc.) but we're having a lot of fun throwing names back and forth. I was also really impressed by the suggestions that came in from others in the comments.

So here's the deal; as it's almost the first of November and the pups will be ready to go by the end of Novemeber, so from now until then, let's hold a little poll/contest here on the blog having to do with puppy names.

As per usual, I always speak before I think, so I haven't got all of the fine details worked out yet as to how this will all play out. I might go out into the interweb and see if I can't find a ticker or a poll counter thingy and post it in my sidebar. I might break this down into categories, such as serious names, ridiculous names, just for fun etc. At the end of the month, perhaps I'll give away a little sumthin' sumthin' for the best suggestion or for the name that got the most votes. Hmmm...alright, gimme a few days, until Nov. 1st to totally work this out and then we'll start. Until then, here are a few suggestions that have been kicking around here:

Our names (ones that the constable and I have tossed around):

Gherhardt (our first stab at a German-y name)
Heinrich (again, along the lines of German sounding)
Hank (my choice, I really like this one)
Maundaumin (to be called Manny...this is my husbands suggestion, just to be clear)
Johnny Utah (this and the following few would fall under the ridiculous category)
Brody
Busey
...this is what we have so far

Suggestions from Others:

from Heddy

Panzer (German armoured vehicle)
Schatzi (German term of endearment)
Schnapps (strong liquor associated with Holland)
Schnitzel (to go along with our eventual Weiner!)

from Kim B. (a blogless friend)

Sterling (of high quality)
Tavin (royal staff)
Saxon (a sword)
Kelby (dark haired)
Koen (honest advisor; Kim B's comment: "He'd tell you if you look fat in those pants!"--so cute!)

And that's it so far. I come up with a dozen or so absolutely ridiculous names a day, mostly to annoy the constable, but now I'll be putting them here to annoy everyone!

Anyhow, I invite any and everyone to post in the comments with a name suggestion and we'll have a little fun with it. I'm not guaranteeing that we'll pick one of these names mind you, but you never know! Be as serious or as silly as you like, I love 'em all.

I'm off to fine tune this idea.

Until later...

Addendum: I've added a poll over in my sidebar where you can vote for a current list of names, if you're so inclined.

7 comments:

lexa said...

I'll have to think on this one a bit, but I have a good friend who is really into dogs. He always said dogs should have a two-syllable name. I can't remember the full reasoning for it, but it supposedly makes them listen better when their name is called or something. (Put more emphasis on the second syllable.)

Donna M said...

My dog book recommends either a one syllable name, or a 2 syllable name ending with a vowel. It makes it easier for them to hear their name when you call them. Therefore Hank is a great name for 1 syllable and Mojo for 2 syllables.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to kaugh until tomorrow over the Johnny Utah thing..

still laughing


still
tears

laugh

still

Anonymous said...

sorry - kaugh is what my sister and I refer to as "burst out loud laughter" - kinda like guffaw

ellen said...

Oh, how fun!!! Damn it all, it's great!
Thanks for stopping by, and if you don't get the crocheted vegs soon, send Panzer to get me. (tee hee)

Anonymous said...

I'm posting this on behalf of DJ
who did a quick search and found the following:

http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ger.php


Some that caught my eye...


Boris


Bruno


Cosmo


Dirk


Hugo


Karl


Otto


Ralf


Rudi


Willi

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh! I just had a thought - a rare occasion these days. You could use your mini loom to weave a dog collar!