
Johnny Mnemonic
I think this is hands down the best worst movie I've ever seen. When the only outstanding performance in a movie is brought to you by Henry Rollins, that should give you a clue (although he's very good at spoken word/monologuing, so I really shouldn't take anything away from the guy). The premise of the story is that Johnny (Keanu) is able to carry around large quanities of information around in his brain, where it has been downloaded and stored (FYI, this takes place in the future...like 2005 or something :) ) and he has some very sensitive information which people are trying to kill him for. The best scene in this 'film' (I use the term very loosely) is where he's simply had enough. He's standing on top of this garbage heep (most of the civilized world has been destroyed) and lamenting his lot in life. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at someone trying to do serious acting. It's hysterical.
Come to think of it, I think pretty much any Keanu Reeves movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. I loooove Keanu, but am not above admitting that he's a tiny bit wooden. His best performances are when he's not talking much, ie. Matrix, Speed, and uh...

Point Break Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze AND Gary Busey?? C'mon people! It really doesn't get any cheesier than this. This is where the name Johnny Utah came from, for those who may not be as well versed in the ways of the Keanu. I mean, that should say it all right there. Keanu, as an FBI agent going under cover as a surfer to catch bank robbers.
Any scene that has Busey in it is my favourite.
.jpg)
Howard the Duck goes back to my childhood, and I watched this movie I don't know how many times, and I think I knew it was bad even then. Not that I cared. The 80's were just ripe with terrible movies, weren't they? Though the older I get, the more I realize that movies are just bad in general. Anyhow, the premise of this one is a duck living in a parallel universe in a world much like Earth, where ducks are the dominant species, gets transported to Cleveland via an experiment gone hay wire. Howard befriends a struggling rock musician, played by Lea Thompson and together they try to find a way home for Howard and uncover a sinister plot in doing so. They are aided by a young and presumably pre-Bull Durham Tim Robbins. This movies is terrible, but who can resist a cigar smoking, foul (fowl?) talking duck with credit cards? Certainly not this cat. This is the kind of movie that if it were to come on tv, I would likely watch it. As I would with...

Encino Man
Tell me, who wasn't 'wheezing the juh-uice' back in 1992? Okay, so perhaps it was only those between the ages of 13-30. Anyhow, I still think that Brendan Fraser is a tragically overlooked actor who is capable of so much more than Blast from the Past or Bedazzled (hmmmm...didn't know that his grandfather was a Mountie...that explains Dudley Do-Right). I think he deserves more dramatic roles cuz I think he's a sweetie. And of course, the early nineties were all about that weird little man named Pauly Shore.
As for favourite scene, not sure if I can pick out one specifically, but if you were the right age during the early nineties, you undoubtedly knew every line from this movie...buuuh-ddy.
I was going to try and do five, but I think I'm fresh out at the moment. This has been fun though. I may do this again, as I'm exceptionally opinionated about movies. I'd like to do another one of these of just the worst movies I've ever seen, period. Ones where I really do lament the loss of that time, and am infuriated that I will never get it back. Hmmm, gonna go think that one over.
Until later...
2 comments:
doesn't it make you laugh to admit how much you love this crap!
I would also include these in my list - eventually, along with Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School and the ultimate lonewolf, dark ages, loincloth hero - BeastMaster
I hate to admit it, but I did kinda like Encino Man! Haven't watched it in years.
Your new baby is soooo cute! The pressure! The pressure! My three have been after me for months for a dog.
http://pic1.piczo.com/littersncritters/?g=30655650&cr=1
Don't know how long she'll be on this page, but they've got me inquiring about Bella! I must be nuts...
Post a Comment