I have very little trouble keeping myself entertained most of the time. I knit, I read, I organize, I clean...it all amuses me. While doing all of this, I have the tv on, mostly for background noise. This evening, after organizing and doing a little cleaning, I've been curled up on the couch pouring over a slow cooker magazine, planning out a few recipes for the upcoming weeks.
Trying to find something decent on tv, with only basic cable mind you, on a Saturday night is always a challenge. I had the race on for a bit, the NASCAR Nationwide series. I enjoy watching racing, and it's really great for filling that background noice quota. You don't have to pay attention or follow along and the roar or the cars is a nice, constance hum. It put me out for a little catnap.
I was rudely awakened by a large snout to the face, and when I woke up, I actually felt like watching something. So I flicked around. I landed on the History channel, as they were showing a program I watched almost a year ago to the date, about the Shag Harbour UFO incident.
I distinctly remember sitting in my in-laws living room (as I lived with them for a time), with my MIL, watching this program last winter. The constable wasn't a constable yet, he was still in Regina at Depot and it was getting pretty close to the end. I was knitting the edging row of a scarf that I had started around the time that he left, in September. I started it with the intention of wearing it at his graduation.
I had bought the yarn at Value Village. It was a huge ball, very fuzzy, almost laceweight, bright red. And cheap! I'm still not too sure what it is, but the way it behaved when I was knitting it might suggest that if it isn't 100% mohair, it's definitely a mohair blend.
Anyhow, I wanted this scarf to be special. I wanted it to be long and intricate. I wanted it to take a long time to knit. I swatched. I measured. I did math. I picked a lace pattern that I thought would be quite pretty. And this is the finished product:

This was taken at the aforementioned grad, so I got it done in time. I have blogged about the scarf before. That night, almost one year ago, watching the same program, I gave the bind off edge a tug to try and ease a little of the tightness and broke the yarn and the stitches wide open. I froze and I think my MIL stopped breathing. I almost cried. Thankfully, it was only the edging stitches, which I had picked up, so they could be repaired without permanent damage to the rest of the scarf.
Anyhow, I just thought that this whole full circle moment was kind of neat. In watching the UFO program the first time, I knew by then that we were headed for Nova Scotia. The fact that Canada's biggest UFO case happened there only made it that much cooler! I never posted pic of the scarf, so now I have.
In other knitting news, I'm knitting socks. Which I really should be working on, as it's craptacular...again...outside and I've got nowhere else to be!
Until later...
4 comments:
Hey Marti, us Maritime folks have Value Village as well--maybe only in the city? I call it VV Boutique. It's where The Boy and I get our entire wardrobes. Not much luck on the yarn front yet, not for me anyway, but I have lucked out with The Boys clothes, cloth diapers when The Boy was younger, and some really nice dog coats for the grandparental pooches!
I didn't knit a stitch yesterday, and so far today I haven't either. I did take my knitting out with the intentions of doing something. I'll have to get a few rows knit at least.
My mother remembers the Shag Harbour incident. She lived just a short way from there. I haven't seen the special you watched, but it was on an episode of Mystery Hunters that the kids watch. (That's a pretty cool show, I even put it on sometimes when the kids are asleep. They investigate neat stuff.)
I'm not a really outgoing person. I'm just as happy staying home. (Except for Knit Nite and obedience class!) The husband is the social butterfly.
Very detailed scarf ... that yarn looks TINY!!! Very nice job! I also think it is cute that the husband is cropped out of the picture, to focus on the scarf ;) It is a knitting blog, and a girl has to have priorities! It looks like your scarf was a good match for the red serge too!
I have never seen the UFO show, nor seen a UFO, nor been to Shag Harbour
Love the scarf! Glad to hear you could rescue it.
And for what it's worth, we normally do not have winters like this!
Post a Comment