I'm thinking of learning this on the guitar...my life makes me sad sometimes.
I don't know about where you live, or your tv viewing habits, but I watch what could be considered an appalling amount of television. I should qualify that statement; I have the tv on a lot. If watching consists of looking in the general direction of the television, paying a moderate amount of attention to what is going on, then I don't actually watch it. I knit, compute, doze off on the couch in a bored stupor...that sort of thing, all with the tv as my white noise in the background. We have this obscenely large television for the space that it's in (I'd say that the tv would actually be a sizable fraction of our living space) so it's very very hard to ignore.
Anyway, my point. The cable channels, like Spike or whathaveyou, loop commercials at a tortuous rate. It's the same three commercials over and over and over again. It's very 1984 in it's design. It actually surprises me that I haven't gone over the deep end by now at how irritating these looping commercials are. It's the ones for the local radio stations that get me. They play this montage of horrible pop songs, and it happens at every commercial break. To top it off, the constable, when he's home, sings along to 'Bringin' Sexy Back' every time there is a commercial break and that frackin' commercial is on. But the Credit Report commercial? These ones we both like (there's two or three different ones). And we both sing along. It's just disgustingly Pavlovian.
But when you wake up with it in your head, you know the evil advertisers have won, hands down. They have bored a hole right into your subconscious and there's no getting them out. I'm still not interested in their product though.
Onto the knitting part:
I have this much done on the alpaca baby sweater. To answer Carrie's question in the comments, alpaca is a dream to knit with. Surprisingly heavy once knit though. Has a little bit of heft to it. But so so soft. I have a pair of fingerless mitts in alpaca and they are hands down (pun intended) my favourites, for their warmth and their softness. I plan on knitting another pair. I saw that Heddy made a pair of Fetching with her alpaca, and I may very well do the same. Sorry for the crappy lighting of the photo, but the flash just washes out the cables.
Feeling a little baby sweater fatigue, I started this Skull Isle out of Son of Stitch n' Bitch for myself. This is going to be Stash Project #4. Two balls of Wool Gatto, one 100% wool (red) the other with a touch of cashmere, both stash yarns. Again, a dream to knit with, but the pink is much thinner than the red, which I hadn't thought of until I started knitting and so the two together are knitting up a little differently. That combined with the fact that I'm using a 3.5mm needle when the pattern calls for a 2.25mm needle and the whole thing is turning out a little loosey-goosey and on the big side. It was pure laziness on my part. I wanted to start knitting it, I had the 3.5mm handy, I didn't feel like rummaging for the appropriate needle size, nor was I going to swatch, so I just started knitting, full steam ahead. The result? I'm going to rip it out and do it again, with a more appropriate needle size. Noodling around Ravelry I've read of more than one person who had some gauge issues with this hat, so I'm thinking that either a 3.00mm or a 3.25 might work out for me. I love how the two colours blend together though, and am uber excited to see the skull chart come together in this uber girly hat.
Then there's this. I've taken this picture 800 times this winter. This very picture. I had an epiphany about this weather this morning. The universe is preparing me for a northern posting someday, where this kind of thing starts in like late September and doesn't stop till sometime in May. I just know it. That has to be it. It was somewhat funny on the CBC yesterday, as I was listening to the local weather report on the way home. The weather dude, in talking about the impending snow, said 'Well we haven't had any for almost 24 hours ya know.' Ha...ha...h-uuuuuuggggghhhhh.
Don't even bother trying to be optimistic or cheer me up about it. I'm wallowing. Okay, okay, we definitely have not had it as bad as most. And the inch that we get will be gone tomorrow. But still...with the jingle in my head and this greeting me as I took the Hankster out for his morning ablutions...h-uuuuuggggghhhhh.
Oh yeah, Hank. He's getting quite possessive of me. Last night at puppy school, he barked his fool head off at any other dog that came near me, which they all did, cuz I have hot dogs for treats. I felt like I had a little band of furry disciples. I was not impressed with his behaviour, and am in fact quite concerned about where this may lead. Not sure what I'll have to do to get this in check. For the time being, he's all bark and no bite. The little collie that is there to be the shining example of a well trained, well behaved dog, was taking none of Hank's BS, and when she snapped at him and told him in no uncertain terms to shut it, he scurried behind my legs and hid. So...ya know. Whaddya do. Silly dog.
Until later...
3 comments:
That was funny last night, cuz when she snapped at Hank he was totally scolded! She put him in his place, that was for sure, and he did get better after that.
I think if I can finish my socks from Hell this weekend and the newphew's sweater I may make my alpaca fingerless mitts. Looks like I'll need them with our friggin' weather!
The Noro Kureyon Sock yarn arrived today. Guess backordered stuff comes eventually. There's still six more colors of alpaca and Donna's Cashmerino Aran.
I also meant to comment on the Credit Report commercials. The Littlest One LOVES those commercials, and he knows all the words to the one in the restaurant. Not quite there yet with the car commercial jingle. He sings it all the time when it comes on tv and even when he's playing I'll hear him singing it. Too funny!
Heddy was in today and got a skein of the Noro, along with some other stuff. I'm sure I'll have to try a skein, too. It's quite thin, but everything I've been reading about it says once they're soaked they "bloom" and thicken nicely. And it's Noro, so gotta have it!
Lexa may have hit your problem with Hank on the nose - you need another dog!
Post a Comment