He has pretty much abandoned his crate now though. We were keeping him in there at night time, but about a week or so ago I decreed that he was officially too big for it. Everytime he would turn around or try and get comfortable, the whole thing would shake and I could hear it from the bedroom (which, granted, isn't all that far away). And I came home one afternoon after he had been cooped up for an extended period of time, something I wasn't a big fan of doing, leaving him in the crate, and he had chewed big chunks out of the cardboard that sits on top of the crate, acting as a makeshift side table. I figured that was a clear sign.
I could also hear him panting heavily at night and I felt terrible. He's a big fluffy dog and all I could imagine was him wanting a drink or looking at the door longingly, knowing there was a nice cold draft coming in there and if he could just get to it, he'd find some relief.
There wasn't a big weening period, just one night we invited him in the bedroom to sleep beside the bed instead of putting him in his crate. He brought Rosco, his crate buddy, and the rest is history. It's pretty cute. He fusses and fidgits, playing with his chewy or licking the bedframe (?) until we put the light out, and then it's all about the sawing logs from then on. About eight in the morning is when I get the snout at the side of the bed, seeing if I'm up for taking him outside. Works for me. I feel much better about this. We'd decided when we first got him that the crate was only temporary, for housebreaking only, and I'll be glad to be rid of it altogether at some point. It's ugly and I'd rather not have it in my house somewhere. Hank barely goes in there anyway, although it does seem to be a good spot to have a quick day nap from time to time.
On the knitting front, I did finish these...
...some time ago and sent them off to their intended recipient, a friend of mine from back home. I was going to put a photo here of her wearing them, but for some reason, the picture was miniscule, so this will have to suffice. She assures me that they fit well and she loves them, so that makes me happy. Anyhow, they are knit from Regia Mini-Ringel, 2.75 mm needles, your basic sock pattern. Put in the black heels and toes cuz I didn't want to disrupt the striping pattern. These are the tallest socks I've made cuz I was facinated by the striping and just kept going and going to see what colour would come out next, despite knowing there was like a four colour repeat. Anyhow, simple minds.
Right now, I am knitting this...
...perhaps the tiniest sweater I've ever knit. It is only one small part of a large project I have in mind, which I suppose I shouldn't be blogging about as I'd like it to be a surprise, but, ya know, meh. Surprises make terrible blog fodder. And if I knit and then can't blog about it...what's the point? Ravelry only supplies so much gratification. Not enough feedback. I'm a comment whore, I'll admit it. I like it when people tell me what I'm knitting is pretty! Besides, I'm not sure how much the intended recipient read the blog anyway. Guess I'll likely find out over the course of the project.
So I guess I was a little chattier than I thought! I think I might try to finish up little red there and perhaps do some spinning today. The hubs has the whole weekend off, which has been lovely as I've felt as though I haven't seen him a whole lot lately. We were total slugs yesterday, pretty much didn't move off of our respective couches. We were so sedentary in fact that by eleven o'clock, I was actually exhausted from doing nothing. The weather helped too, as 2008 seems to be the year of perpetual winter and we got another snow storm. I remember when I was in 8th grade, and we had this really unusual weather year. Spring just never really came. It was chilly and grey and I remember the closer it got to the end of the year, the more it seemed like summer would just never come. And this was in a part of the country where shorts and t-shirts were very much the norm for March break, even if we did get another cold snap after that. Anyhow, I remember being in the school yard one recess and telling this classmate of mine, a very sweet but apparently gullible girl, that they had cancelled summer. She had a very concerned look on her face, and I'm pretty sure, if only for the few moments that we were torturing her, she believed me. Today, I feel like her. If someone made an announcement that the rest of the seasons have been cancelled for this year and we should continue to expect snow storms ever week from now on, I wouldn't batt an eye.
Oh, and plow guy? Thanks for taking out the mailbox.
3 comments:
oooohhh ... pretty knitting!
Glad to see the 2 at a time sleeve thing worked out for you - both look to bne the same size, that's good. I still can't get over how tiny that sweater is going to be. What kind of yarn is it?
Lucky Hank is now a free range dog! One of our free range dogs slept on our bed last night and when I woke up I was snout to snout with her and she nearly had pushed me out of the bed ... damn bed-hog! I hope you can keep Hank convinced that sleeping on the floor is way cooler than sleeping in the big hard uncomfortable cold bed.
I won't let Jewel run amok, maybe when she's ten! I wouldn't trust that as far as I can throw her. Of course, her kennel is ugly but big, and she's not the huge hunk of dog that is Hank. She goes in at night or I'd never sleep for fear of what she's eating/chewing/molesting, plus it gives the cats a break. She also goes in when no one is home or else I'd greatly fear what I'd arrive home to. She's the Evil Baby.
Can't wait to see the finished Red Thing. I like the Mini Ringel sock yarn, too bad we don't have any more of it. I preordered the new Patons Stretch Sock that's due to come out next month.
Too bad about your mailbox. Hope it was just knocked over and not demolished. Time to go get ready to shovel, I guess. Hubs will have fun on the 4-wheeler with his plow today.
I'm eager to see more of little red!
Hank is looking very grown up!
Post a Comment