Par example; about a week ago I was craving a big, salty soft pretzel, despite the fact that I've never had one in my life. Ever. This fact gobsmacked my husband for the better part of an hour to which he informed me that I have lived very little in my life. I sort of put the whole thing out of my mind because, well, there just wasn't any big soft pretzels to be had in ye olde Liverpool. Until Saturday. I was out running errands and decided to stop into the buy and sell, cuz I love the buy and sell, and there is this open market right next door. There's a lady selling veggies and fruit from the back of a truck, a girl selling seafood from the back of her car and oh, a new guy...selling German bread from the back of...uh...lets say Volkswagen (I'm thoroughly convinced that Liverpool is the only town I know of where you can get a complete meal from the back of a vehicle).
So I'm perusing the signs and lo and behold, the German bread guy had German pretzels for sale. Seriously, what are the odds? So I bought four. They were delicious. Now onto the next craving. *Perhaps I should clarify...I didn't eat all four. Just two. I do share on occasion.*
So pretzel eating was Saturday. Here's what I did with my Sunday. Some of you may be wondering 'what the...?'. It's a weaving loom. A smallish one. Good for scarves and tea towels. I actually started this project back in, oh, March? Maybe earlier? It takes an unbelievably long time to wind a warp (all the threads that are going vertically into the contraption) and then thread the loom. It takes the better part of a day if you start and finish it in one go. And you have to thread it properly, which I totally messed up, which is why, after threading it, I let it sit until yesterday. It just seemed like a very painful proposition. It was actually only the last four stripes of colour that I had to re-thread, so it really wasn't as painful as I had imagined. Anyhoo, once I was on track, the actual weaving part goes rather quickly. I only sat there for about an hour or so and got this far with the weaving.
Each band of colour is an inch wide, so the corresponding weft (the threads that go horizontally) will be an inch wide as well. This is a waffle weave pattern, and I'm rather shocked that I was able to remember what I learned in the weaving class I took four years ago and figure it out. That was the whole point of this project, was to refresh my memory, cuz this is the kind of thing where if you don't use it, you totally lose it. And as and aside, the only craft I've done where I continually ask myself why I even bother. But same could be said of just about every other craft I enjoy. And we all know why we bother. As you can see, despite the re-threading, there is still a threading mistake, but we're just going to be in denial about that, okay?
I've now totally forgotten how long a warp I put on the loom, so I don't know how many potential towels I will get out of this. Seems to me that since I was just doing this to test my skills, I likely only put enough on for two. Which is good. Simple project. And I'm thinking now that I'd like to use them as burp cloths. One hundred percent cotton, pretty colours...hopefully they're nice and absorbent. We shall see.
As for knitting, I'm doing a little. And I do mean little. Some baby socks, Patons Stretch Sock leftovers in the Kelp colourway. Wee. These make for good Knit Nite knitting, so I foresee myself making many more pair.
Tomorrow is another big day at the homestead...the new living room furniture has arrived and will be delivered between eleven am and two pm. Whee :) Very excited. Now I have to de-program the dog NOT to get up on the couch. The old one we have now has been totally Hankified, which we didn't mind, but there will be a new world order shortly for the Hankster. He's not going to like it. Poor guy.
Until later...
7 comments:
wow. The loom looks very cool. I'm very impressed.
New furniture is always a good thing, eh? I hope Hank makes out ok. Is he allowed to keep his couch?
Hmm, I'm sitting here with my head cocked to the side and I still don't see any mistakes - looks lovely to me!
Did you use a particular pattern for the socks - super cute!
You are going to have the best "outfitted" little baby in the world.
Your weaving looks great to me and how exciting to have new furniture. Good for you! p.s. adorable little socks too.
That weave looks like the towels from Holland. So professional! And the furniture is early. Wonderful! Not for Hank though.
MIL Thomaes
you weave too?? Is there anything you don't do girl?
Oh, and baby socks, they are amazing fun! I am knitting socks like mad! They are so rewarding and cute!
I am impressed! Weaving! Do your talents never end? I must say I can't see a mistake, but a weaver I am not!
Lucky you with the furniture arriving early! Good luck with Hank though! Bad habits are hard to break!
The guy with the German breads is awesome! I've had the cinnamon bread. It's sooooo good. I hear his sausages are really good, too. No preservatives in his stuff or other artificial crap.
Post a Comment