Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Definitely Not a Monkey...



The aforementioned sheep from yesterdays post arrived about an hour after I hit the publish button. Is this not the most hilarious sheep you've ever seen? The tag identifies him as a Pudgie and I think I want one of each. I was really hoping they made hippo's too, but not yet. I can't wait to sit the baby next to this gigantic blob of a sheep once the wee bean is able to sit up.

So I had a bit of a brain storm today that I thought would be blog worthy. A while back I bought a baby pattern that was on for half price at the fabric shop. It was for a couple of little hoodies with matching bottoms. I browsed the sweat shirt fabric that they had last time I was there and there didn't appear to be much in the way of selection. Then I remembered the last clothing purge we did that resulted in a large pile of old t-shirts etc. being deposited in my craft room for dust rags et al.



Why not re purpose the hubby's big sweatshirt into a little hoodie? Why not indeed.



I cut the sleeves off, saved them for the sleeves of the hoodie, and also cut off the wrist and bottom bands of the sweatshirt. Just for ease of cutting, and they were pretty worn out anyway. The pieces of the hoodie, fronts, back, hood and bottom band I cut out of the body of the sweatshirt.



Yadda yadda yadda, sew sew sew, and now I've got a little hoodie where once there was just a sad sorry old sweatshirt. The shirt itself kinda had that distressed look to it, as I think the constable wore it working one of his previous jobs. Anyhow, imagine what you might pay at the Gap for something of a similar nature. Hehehe...

I could only go so far as to serge around the hood and fronts for now as I didn't have a separating zipper on hand. I think I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Anyhow, from start to finish I think this took about two hours. I made the largest size in the pattern, which looks to me to be about twelve to twenty-four months. I think the colour works for either gender as well. If my husband could wear it from high school on, that's good enough for me. I'll be happy to know what we're having though, once we finally find out. It'll make crafting and shopping so much easier.

So that's today's FO.

7 comments:

lexa said...

That was a great way to recycle, and it give Baby something of Daddy's really early on! I wish I could sew! :(

Love the little sheep.

Donna M said...

I am impressed with your recycling capabilities! And what a great little hoodie it makes!

Love the sheep!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I remember that shirt. I'm surprised it was still almost in one piece. I like it much better as a hoodie.
Cute sheep. I know what you mean about a hippo. Put a bug in their ear.
Your MIL

Alison said...

When do you find out? Have you seen the bit on the UC Baby website where they'll make a life-sized doll to look like your baby, using the 3d ultrasound photos? Kinda wierd!

Very cute sweatshirt, and how neat that you can give the baby something of dad's. That's the sort of baby clothing that you keep forever, and pass on to the grandchildren as well.

Heddy said...

That sheep is sweet ... but I am wondering now what steroid eating monkeys your mom has seen!

Your crafting is blowing my mind! golly, girly ... you are a triple threat - knitting crochetting and sewing and a wonder at all !

I can't wait to see what yopu make next!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I too have been in recycling mode!

LOVE the little sheep, so swishy!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on the hoodie. Very nice refashion. Cute, cuddly sheep too.