I had to go for an ultrasound at the IWK in Halifax yesterday afternoon. No biggie, just my stubborn little bean of a baby wouldn't co-operate for the first 2 ultrasounds that I had down here at South Shore Regional and so the powers that be couldn't see all the views of the heart that they wanted to see. Which lead me to taking the entire day to get to, wait for, go through and come home from a one hour ultrasound in the city. Honestly, it took all day. Not that I am really begrudging the event. I mean, I did get to see the little weirdo once again, this time being able to sync up movement I saw with movement I could feel. And seeing as it was my third ultrasound, I could definitely see a difference in size of all the essential parts. Although I still mistook the belly for the head, so ya know, there's a learning curve with this stuff. And I don't know why, but seeing those itty-bitty hands and feet just delight me like nothing else. I've giggled every time.
Anyhow, after an hour of trying to coax this willful, still in-utero child to, I dunno, flip over I guess by getting me to walk around the room, empty my full bladder, jiggling the camera-wand thingy half a dozen times over my belly, having me lay on my side and yes, even going so far as to tip the bed backwards so that my feet were above my head, the tech gave up and called in the radiologist, who, in about two minutes or so, got the view she wanted and we were away to the races. It's nice when a doctor calls your baby's heart 'gorgeous' and all of the measurements 'perfect'. Leaves a warm fuzzy feeling. So that was good.
But I think the coolest part of the day was actually lunch before the exam. We stopped in Bayers Lake, the big box store shopping area just before the city, hoping to hit a few stores. It was lunch time by then and I was desperate to hit a Burger King, since there isn't one in our area. I was like that guy on the BK commercial where they fool people into thinking that they don't serve the Whoppers anymore and he gets rather agitated and yells, "I WANNA WHOPPER." So that's where we went.
Immediately upon entering the fine establishment we see the guy who plays Julian on the Trailer Park Boys. I mean, you couldn't mistake him for anyone else. Though he wasn't holding his signature drink in his hand at the time, he was holding his cellphone, just like he would his rye on the rocks and it was at that very moment that the secret, silent communication that only married people possess kicked in without missing a beat. I was ahead of the constable and I immediately turned around, to which he responded with a slight smile and a nod. Without saying a word, it was as though I turned and said, 'Is that...?' and he replied, 'Uh-huh'. So that was cool. And while I've never spotted a celebrity in the States, I have spotted my fair share of Canadian ones here on home soil, and I have to believe that there is something uniquely Canadian about how we treat our celebs. Though the BK wasn't full of people, there were definitely a few others who recognized him as well, though no one approached him at all. Could be cuz it's common to see him around these parts, I don't know. But everyone just whispered and made head motions in his general direction and let him alone to have lunch with his kids in relative obscurity.
Onto the craft content. Seeing as I'm pretty much stuck on the chaise today, figuratively and quite literally (with this growing belly, it's getting increasingly more difficult to get up from the chaise), I'll share some recent FO's for you, the first of which I like to call The Gift That Just Wasn't Meant to Be.
I bought some Patons SWS in Natural Denim to make my sister something for Christmas. At first I was thinking hat, but was having a hard time coming up with just the right hat. It had to be 'just the right hat' cuz even by her own admission, my sis would say that she and hats don't always see eye to eye. I cast on for a couple of different patterns, all of which just didn't seem to want to work (one of which was Le Slouch, which was absolutely the wrong hat altogether...I think I had more me in mind at that point) so I sought the knowledge of my Knit Nite compatriots and the consensus was a resounding 'felted slippers.' NovaKnitter sung the praises of the felted clog and had me pretty much convinced by the time I got home. I checked the yardage of the pattern, 500 yrds, with what I had, which was just a little over 300, so I went with the felted ballet slippers instead. Yadda yadda yadda, everything was sailing along smoothly until I got to the part where you pick up around the sole of the foot. I had knit the ladies large sole, so I thought, but only managed to pick up around for the ladies small. Hmmm. Something fishy. Ah well, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash. Literally. So I went ahead and finished the first slipper. When I got around to the same point in the second, I realized where I had made the mistake. For the ladies large sole, I was supposed to knit 29 garter stitch ridges, decrease, knit another eleven ridges, decrease, then knit another eleven. It was the second eleven that I had omitted. What this all really means is I am now the proud owner of a lovely pair of felted slippers and still have no gift for my sister for Christmas.
Numero Deux; I finally finished my Flying Arrows (not a link to the pattern, but these are lovely in red) socks out of the buttery and obsession creating Tanis yarn in the Lagoon colourway. Love. More than love. Adore. I did the garter stitch short row heel on these as well, and they are quickly becoming my favourite heel of all time. Perfect fit.
C) Sock one of the pair to match the orange onesie I made. Kertzer something or other. I'd forgotten that there were other colours in the yarn than just orange and yellow. Ah well. I'm not going to try and make them match anyway, and still very cute.
Quattro and Five: A sleep sack sewn by yours truly and a little cotton hat knit out of Cloud Cotton Eco Cotton in what I'm going to call a natural colourway. Very soft. The sleep sack, size three months according to the pattern, looks huge to me. But it turned out well and I like it (I managed to haul my carcass off the chaise to get this photo...quite a mistake...not doing that again.)
Currently on the needles; Skull Isle Hat (Ravelry link, sorry for those of you not on Rav...couldn't find it online elsewhere) from Son of Stitch n' Bitch in pink and red Wool Gatto. I've been wanting to make this for a long while, and figured as it was winter already, now is as good a time as any. It's going quickly, which I like. Just gotta do some simple colour work every once in a while. This is supposed to be a stash busting project, but I've got this sneaky suspicion that I won't be content until I have the mittens to match. I'm also a little worried that it's going to be too small. But we'll see.
And that's all I've got left in me. I'm now actually tired from blogging. This is sad. Guess I'll go attempt a nap. Sleeping at night is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. Not that I'm waking up, just not sleeping comfortably or soundly. And that's no fun.
Until later...
9 comments:
You have been a busy little bee. Sorry the slippers didn't work out, but if they fit you.......
Did you see anything else interesting on your ultrasound? I.e. dangly bits?
I've seen a few peeps in the city, and when I worked at Lane's some used to stay there and/or pass through. One of my favorites ever was Ronnie Hawkins. Bruce Guthro was really nice, as was Frank Mills. There were two in particular I did not care for, and neither did anyone else. I missed out on Timothy Dalton and Lolita Davidovich. They came during the evening, and I worked days. Dudley Moore used to come on a kinda regular basis, mostly to the restaurant in Port Mouton, though, cuz his friends had a summer home out that way. He came here a lot. I think celebs like it around here cuz they aren't nagged so much. Even bigger named people making movies in the cities and such aren't bothered like other places.
Sweet FOs ... I love the sleep sack! I have the Kertzer that you are baby sock knitting from ... I made a pair of socks from it during SOS.
I had a celebrity sighting today too - but not nearly as exciting or cool as yours. I saw bobby Curtola at the Superstore -- yep, he's back in town again. Made me want a Coke!
** so - after all that time looking at your baby , did the teckie let you know if he saw more than a heartbeat (ie; danglies or lack of dinglies? I am personally thinking no winkie, but I could be wrong!)
Nope, no dangly or lack of dangly bits to be seen. And we didn't ask, as I'd been sent a letter the week prior telling me that 'due to the time sensitive nature of these appointments, you will not be provided pictures or the sex of the baby'.
Well alrighty then.
Only another coupla weeks ladies, then we'll all know for sure.
By the way, did you all come online at once and all decide to check the blog at the same time? Check out the time stamps...too funny. We're all sitting at our computers.
I knit the Skull Isle with Wool Gatto as well. I went up a needle size for the fair isle portion of the hat. It does seem small when it is done, but it blocks out nicely.
The TPB sat behind me on a plane home from Toronto late one night last summer. They were perfect gentlemen. The guy that was travelling with them, however, prattled on about why cellphones aren't meant to be used on airplanes in this really annoying voice.
You didn't kinnear him?
Glad the ultrasound went well.
Squeee! Only 100 days to go - then you are a mommy! too exciting!
Congrats on 100 days to go!
I saw Scott Thompson in Toronto once. That was kinda neat.
Love the little socks. Orange is one of those colours that I never think about but always enjoy when I see it.
Post a Comment