Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oh So Happy...

Chicken Betty tagged me for a Tree of Happiness meme and I think I'm supposed to list six things that make me happy. Seeing as I'm suffering an awful bout of reflux/heartburn at the moment and though dog tired, the whole laying down thing makes it worse, perhaps listing some happy-inducing items might take the edge off. So here goes.

One: My home. Alright, I'm just going to give up now and let you know that the majority of this list is going to be touchy-feely fromage, but it's all true. The fact that I have a home and it's ours and it's cozy and warm makes me tremendously happy. It's my ultimate haven, my shelter in the storm (literally I suppose), the only place I want to be most of the time. I'm a true home body, totally content to be here and putter around.

Two: The people in it. My home that is. The constable, Hank...they're always glad to see me, and I them and we share our own strange language and rituals and we just generally enjoy one another's company. They both make me laugh tremendously, and there really isn't anything better than that. Plus Hank is really soft and fuzzy, so there's a tactile component as well. You can't help but get a little happier when you're kind of grumpy just by petting his head.

Three: Sleep. Oh how I treasure my sleep. There is nothing in this world better than a really good nights sleep or a long guilt-free nap in the middle of the day. I defy you to convince me otherwise. And with this whole pregnancy thing, though I haven't encountered much sleep interruption, I'm even more keenly aware of the difference a restful night can make the next day. And yes, I'm well aware I'm on borrowed time with this one. Just let me enjoy it while I can.

Four: A great meal. Much like sleep, there's just nothing like it. A great meal enjoyed with equally great company is the marrow of life. And it cannot be rushed. You must be able to languish over a meal for a good long time, with lots of wine and scintillating conversation. Those kinds of moments not only feed the belly but the spirit as well.

Five: Along with friends and family, which I was going to go into greater detail about, I think I'm going to have to reserve this one for solitude. Chicken Betty touched upon this one as well, and I too find it vitally important that I carve out my alone time in my day. Which at the moment isn't terribly hard to do. I work from home and my hubby works shifts, so being alone is an almost constant state of affairs. But there are times when things are busy or I'm around people more than I'm not and I find that to find that inner equilibrium, I need to just be alone and collect my thoughts. Whenever I get out of balance, being alone brings me back to center and makes me much happier.

Six: Again, kinda cliche and a little on the sugary sweet side, but I gotta say it: being pregnant. This has been one of the happiest times of my life. Everything has gone so well so far and seeing as this is something I (and we) have wanted for quite some time, I've tried not to take a moment of it for granted. I've wanted to be totally present for every experience and just soak it all up, letting everything else fall by the wayside if need be. Despite the discomfort and crankiness at times, I feel very lucky to be a part of all this. It's, like, uber-cool.

See? Heartburn is gone. Attitude is everything. I'm off to bed then. Until later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brought a smile to my face, oh wait it's still there from the weekend. This is the time of year where we tend to cherish and reflect a bit more. Isn't it wonderful to have so many things that bring joy! (Yep, definitely still on a up) :)