Sunday, March 01, 2009

Quilt Guilt...



...has been exercised from my system. Granted, the actual quilting part has yet to take place, but it is all put together and could be put into use if need be. It's one of those quick turning type quilts, where you sew the top and back together with the batting sandwiched inside out and flip it, if that makes any sense. I forgot to note the pattern info, but I'm pretty sure it's a Simplicity pattern called something to the effect of Aunt Edna's Pinwheel Baby Quilt.



Close up. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I love this pattern and as I mentioned in the previous post, have used it a number of times before. I think the end result (really wish it showed up as bright and cheerful as it is in real life, but it's a dull day and the flash made it look too yellowy) is sweet and springy and for me anyhow, surprisingly traditional. In terms of fabric choice anyway. All of the fabric came from fat quarters I had in my stash, which I've collected over the years thinking, 'these would make a sweet little baby quilt someday.' And so they've fulfilled their quilty destiny.



Back. I've been carrying the backing fabric around with me for years and years and years as well. It came from my mom who never got around to using it. When I done growed up, I inherited all of her sewing apparati like the sewing machine, serger, sewing scissors (Henckels no less...ma didn't mess around with her tools) sewing box etc., only ever misplacing her pinking shears which makes me sad, cuz they were a really great pair. She wasn't a huge crafter when I was growing up, certainly not to the scale of obsession that I've taken it, but I distinctly remember her pulling out the old machine (back then, an ancient brown and cream Singer that weighed about as much as an anvil) at Christmas time and going to town. She was no slouce. She was good at what she did, and was all about the details.

I have this memory of standing beside her at the kitchen table while she made little felt doves that I was allowed to help put glitter on. Even at that tender age, I remember thinking 'I wish I knew how to do that'. She used to let me just rifle through her sewing box, which I would do over and over and over again and I would look at everything and touch it all as though it was great and important treasure. Badges and labels and appliques; beads and buttons and pins; thread on wooden spools, a hook for rug hooking, tailors chalk. Now when I open up the sewing box, I still see these things and it brings about a wave of nostalgia. When I finished the quilt this morning and was sewing up the opening I used to flip it right side out, I thought of these little treasures.



I guess the 'Mom' would be me now.

Until later...

11 comments:

lexa said...

Awww, very nice!

(You are supposed to be having that baby today, AHEM!!!)

Anonymous said...

You are definitely a mom if you are living by your guilt now! We always second guess ourselves and we always wish we did more. Actually I think we all do a great job.....it's that damn guilt that gets us everytime.

Tie the quilt...it's faster.

You can now have that baby girl!

Anonymous said...

awwww let me say it again awwww. Just precious. Oh and the baby can come now.

Heddy said...

beautiful, and such a nice story too.

I agree that the baby can come anytime now, now that you seem to have everything made for her that you wanted to get made, but I still think she'll be a St. paddy's day baby (sorry! I know you'd like to go soon)

You really are a lovely sewer (and very fast). I see a future full of beautiful handmade things for your wee babe (and she'll probably tell a similar tale about helping her mom sew).

The Ninja Knitter said...

It's gorgeous. Great job! And you wanna know something funny? The method that you're talking about (flip inside out and sewing the opening shut) is called the birthing method. Heh. What a lucky little girl to have such a lovely quilt to snuggle under.

Steph VW said...

Ok, you succeeded in making me weepy.

Beautiful quilt. I love it.

ellen said...

You will be Mom and I hope that you will carry the memories of your special mother with you.
I love reading about you standing by her as she created...one day your little girl will do the same, and I hope that you will tell her about your special mother.
So soon now! How exciting.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is lovely and I can't believe you did it so fast. You should be really proud of all you have done - and so well - no need for guilt that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Well, i can't believe you have brought me to tears at this time of day. What a beautiful story.

Donna M said...

Love the quilt! It is just so bright and cheerful. Pinta will sleep so peacefully under the quilt her mother made by her mom!

Heddy said...

OMG ... Ijust noticed your countdown ticker -- only 9 more days??? where did the time go? Holy cow! Soon you will be a momma!