Yesterday I was over at the Harlot's blog reading about the nastiness that has ensued due to the chaos that has become the sock summit that she has been working hard to put together. If you've read her post, you'll know that she and her comrades have apparently been receiving threatening and hateful email. When I first read that, I thought to myself 'Well that's rude' and went about my day. But I kept thinking about it and after a while I thought 'Really? Threatening? Knitters? Knitters being threatening and hateful about knitting? Socks? SERIOUSLY?' I hope it is indeed a small cohort of complainers. I mean really people...it's just knitting. Socks. Knitting socks. With other people knitting socks. There really are much more pressing things to get your panties in a bunch over. Sheesh.
Speaking of knitting, I have some to show.
First up, sock one of the Paraphernalia pair is done. Love, heart, adore. Fits like a glove too...or a sock as it were, hehehe. I think after numerous years of knitting these things, I may actually be getting the hang of it.
I've also started in on another sweater for myself, this time a Starsky by Jordana Paige. This is the third spring in a row that I've started a sweater. I feel a tradition developing. Also the third sweater that I'm knitting with Patons Shetland Chunky. I'm pretty sure chunky knits are the least flattering thing to clothe myself in, but I'm drawn to them.
Another phenomenon that seems to have repeated itself with this sweater is the curse of the cable. Maybe curse is too strong a word...the conundrum of the cable. Not the first time I've had to rip back to the beginning cuz I screwed up. I've knit the cable repeat correctly, just over the wrong number of stitches. I cast on the correct number to begin with and while I was doing the ribbing, thought that the pattern had asked for the wrong number since the 3 x 3 cable wasn't working out evenly. It wasn't until I had the 3 inches knit that I realized I hadn't read the right directions for the size I was knitting which had a helpful little adjunct which stated 'knit to last 2 sts, knit 2'. Ah yes grasshoppah, I get it now. So I just figured if I added the extra stitch that I had decreased at the beginning, everything would work itself out. Which it might've had I increased the st. on the correct side, which means I likely started the cabling on the wrong instead of the right side. Long story short, the banana tree cable pattern is moved one stitch over the entire way across. It isn't hugely noticable but kinda bugged the crap out of me. I let it marinate overnight, then consulted a fellow comrade in yarns and yes, I am going to rip it back to the end of the ribbing and fix it from there. It's only a naps worth of knittng to undo, so it's not so tragic.
Recent yarn acquisitions. All Fleece Artist. The one with the tag (Somoko) was my prize from Nova Knitters blogiversary party and the other two were purchases from the Have a Yarn mill ends sale that Heddy was nice enough to pick out and bring home to me!
Gotta go, there's sweater ripping and yarn caking to do. Then it might be time to venture out of doors. That large shiny ball of fire in the sky has returned and one never knows just how long it'll stick around. Until later...
4 comments:
Like you, I oculdn't believe the hassle the Yarn Harlot is going thru with Knitters, of all people! How many times have these people tried to get concert tickets and missed out?! Jeez people, get a life!
I'd have to rip back the sweater, too. At least you weren't too too far into it. Could have been worse.
I've been trying to pick a pattern for the yarn I got from Nova Knitter. I kinda have it narrowed down to two or three. I have awhile yet, won't have to get them in the mail til the first part of August.
The socks are coming along quickly -- I still am not sure wqhere you find the time to knit with a brand new baby, a dog and a husband with a gimped up finger - Superwoman!
Those socks or rather that sock looks so cushy. I can just imagine how lovely it feels to slide your foot into. I LOVE my hand knit socks. So much so that they have their own drawer and I only wear them when I need a little soothing or extra warmth in my day.
Socks should make people happy, not nasty. That's so counter sockness.
Post a Comment