Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Soup on Sunday & Twenty-five...

I'm having an utterly craptacular day. Woke up with a nasty-ass headache to a baby who's a big crank-a-pants and thinks that screaming is the only effective means of communication. Her once set-your-clock-by-it predictable schedule appears to be changing as well, and it's completely messing with my head. Waaaa. Anyway...



This is the redeeming quality of the day though. Both my baby boy and my baby girl sharing space and getting along. Yes, she's blurry...that can't be helped. She's a girl on the move. She seems to really like Hank, notices him more all the time, but when she's in the Jolly Jumper, it's hit or miss as to how she feels about him. Sometimes she's utterly entralled and others, like for a brief moment this morning, seemingly terrified. He could be on the other side of the room completely unconcious and all of a sudden, she just starts wailing while looking at him. Little weirdo. So we had to have a little chat about Hank having livingroom rights too, and that seemed to straighten her out a bit. Hank, for his part, is a perfect gentleman where little A is concerned. I've very impressed. I was hoping that he would innately know that little miss requires special consideration and caution, and so far, he does. He listens a little more carefully to my commands when she's around, and that's just pure awesome.



In other banal details of my life, I've decided that I'm going to make soup on Sundays. I love Sunday, a day for being quiet and lazy, in my opinion. Which doesn't really jive with having to make dinner...also in my opinion. Enter soup. Delicious, warm, satisfying...served in a bowl. What's not to love? I have this great soup cook book, so for the autumn and winter, the soup months, I'm going to cook my way through it on Sunday evenings. First installment in the series was a very successful and yummy Cream of Cauliflower and Walnut soup. Taaaay-steeee. The recipe called for a little paprika to be sprinkled on at the end, which I didn't have, so I went with nutmeg (same colour) and for me, that just was the icing on the cake. Or the nutmeg on the soup I guess. Awesome. I've since discovered though that you really need to eat this up in one go, as the little bit that was left over went brown in the fridge overnight. Boo. But it's wasn't that much, so it wasn't a huge waste.



In knitting, I've started a sweater for my sister's dog, Franklin. He's a new addition to her fam, a Yorki-poo, and since he tips the scales at a whopping 5.5 lbs, I figured that a harsh Canadian winter might be a bit of a challenge for him. Heck, a good stiff breeze could send this little guy into a spasm of shivers. Anyhow, I'm already half way through this project and I don't anticipate it taking me much longer, if I can stay away from the Broadripple socks that keep calling my name. I'm suffering from a bit of startitis at the moment. Especially since this little dog sweater seems to have cured me of my cabling blockage and I'm dying to get at my Starsky sweater that I had totally anticipated having done by now, even though I both started and then promptly abandoned it back in the late spring.

Anyhow, I'm going to go flake out for as long as possible. Until later...

5 comments:

lexa said...

Hank is such a handsome boy! They know about little people. He looks totally huge compared to her in that picture, no wonder sometimes she freaks out! lol!

Now that cooler weather is hitting I'll start making soups again.

Anonymous said...

I for one enjoy the banal details of your life.

Donna M said...

Sounds like great soup!

Glad to see the babe and the giant dog getting along!

Hope you're feeling better.

Frieda said...

The soup looks yummy . Making and eating soup is one of the few things I like about winter . Can't beat the yummy smell of soup on the stove and then enjoying the the results .

Our grandson Jessey just loved his little jumper , he would bounce around in it for quite a while , never got tired of it .

Hoping tomorrow will e better ....

The Ninja Knitter said...

Oooh, soup. I loves me some nice homemade soups. In fact, I was thinking of doing a soup swap this fall...this just might be the kick in the pants that I needed. Muchos gracias...