Saturday, May 19, 2007

Everybody's Workin' for the Weekend...

Well, I've officially become a Canadian Tire commercial. Or a Home Depot commercial or a Lowes or Rona or Home Hardware. Take your pic, I've been to them all. You know the commercial. It's May 2-4 weekend, an industrious couple are taking advantage of their time off and the nice weather (what a CROCK! It ALWAYS rains on May 2-4 weekend) to get some much needed work done around the house. Enter Marti and Co.

I thought it was time to do a little update of the Work In Progress, hereafter known as WIP.

This is where my series of projects started. Paint stripping. It's a soul crushing job. This door frame took me three days to get it to this point. I'm still not done with it and as you can clearly see, I have much more paint to strip. I'm actually kind of thankful that the weather turned and I could no longer open up all the windows for proper ventillation so that I could move on to something that provided a little more instant gratification.

As you may recall, this kitchen had a very eighties-esque country kitchen border above the cabinets there. I took it down. It came down easily, which greatly boosted my home reno. morale.



When I was done that, I stopped to take a picture of my new work shoes. Steel toe and sole. Oh yeah baby, I'm like one step away from being a general contractor.

In between bouts of admiring my new shoes, I put two coats of primer on the kitchen walls. I don't really think it shows though, as the Incredible Hulk hued counter tops still cast a very green shadow onto the walls, which were previously a very sea-foamy green.

Maybe a picture of the window will show how nice and white it looks.

Anyhow, the constable has the weekend off, so he traded his uniform for his grubbies and got to work on this...

See that? That's where the floor of the downstairs bathroom is as opposed to where it's supposed to be.
A trip to the home improvement place yeilded some lally columns (or jack posts if you will) and a new level, which someone seems waaaaay too excited about.

We neglected to take a photo, but the floor is now flush with the two by four. I'm so utterly impressed. I'm continually discovering previously unknown handiness in the man I married.

Since I finished the kitchen and had some primer left in the tray, I got a little roller happy and went to town on the master bedroom.





Yep, things are definitely humming along.

3 comments:

4boysandadog said...

once again, if we can be of any assistance through the tele please don't hesitate to call as we have been through all of that. A wee tip on the stripping. Walmart sells a large (I'll guess and say 3 or 4litre)tin of stripper. It is not as thick as the expensive non "drip" kind but it is far less fumy(is that a word)and is half the price and does the trick. I used a paint scrapper with the "roller" cleaner at the end as the Hook part is a great crevase (sp.) tool. Just use steel wool on your last and final application. You will be burned approximately 1,374 times by the stripper as it sprays on your face or any other unprotected part of your body but after the first 2 months it doesn't hurt anymore. The stripper will destroy anything it touches including the finish in your tub. Enjoy it will be worth it in the end. p.s. it took me 3 months to strip our stair case -I will never tackle anything like that again. Love your cous mar

Marti said...

Three months huh? Hmmm...maybe the paint isn't so bad after all.
Thanks for the tip Mary! I'll definitely look into the Walmart stripper, cuz at 12 bucks a litre, it just ain't cuttin' it. I knew that if I could find a five gallon tub of primer out there, something had to be similar with regards to the stripper. And as far as it ruining other finishes, that's alright...all finishes need to be re-finished in this house!

Anonymous said...

In all seriousness this is fascinating stuff. Crafting is cool and all, but the stakes (or if you'll allow me the steeks) are so much higher with the home reno.

Keep the pics coming!

PS steel toed shoes, did not come up one time in the six months we were in the same county chatting about the future.