I'm blogging to you as I listen to the dulcet tones of the jackhammer outside my door. It started at around 7:30 am and although I was already up and about, I'm sure my neighbours might have a thing or two to say about it. I think it's the sweetest sound I've heard in a while, since it's been a rather frustrating battle to get people to even call us back let alone show up. The workmen are here and I can hear them complaining about something outside, I can see them smoking through my window and I am as happy as a homeowning clam to see something actually being done!
So what exactly is being done you ask? Well, we're having some concrete work done. A bit of a retaining wall, if you will, around a portion of the foundation. If I get brave enough to go out and take a few photos, I'll post. But the dude with the jackhammer doesn't sound like the most congenial fellow, so for now you'll have to be satisfied with more painting photos.
That isn't just primer, there actually is two coats of a colour on the walls. I didn't use the flash because it just washed everything out. These photos seemed to show off the colour best, but can you even tell there is one? I'm not sure. It's called White Sand and it's from the bright whites family. After one coat I thought perhaps I had made a grave error, as I nearly went blind trying to put it on the walls. I couldn't tell the difference between it and the primer. But now, after two coats, I'm quite pleased. The room is large and bright and I love that the colour only enhances this.
I painted the ceiling as well. I just like the look. Seems to unify a room.
As you might also be able to kind of see from the photos, I took up some of the subfloor to see what was underneath, which was this...
I'm only guessing, but would this be considered a barnboard floor? Whatever it is, I like it and sanded a small section to see how it would come up. I think it will be quite nice once it's refinished. That's a ways off yet though.
Again, the partial paint job makes me contemplate in a very Seinfeldian manner, 'Who are these people?' I can see painting a floor. I can see not painting a floor. I can't see painting part of a floor.
Anyhow, considering where we started with this room...
...and where we are already...
...I'd say it's a huge improvement. I guess I'll keep on it for another day.
For now though, I'm getting out of here before the neighbours call in a noise complaint. And the constable is on duty today too, which would be quite funny actually!
Until later...
PS: I was wrong about the jackhammer guy. He's very congenial. As are the rest of the crew, so I've since discovered.
6 comments:
OOOH, Aaaaah. Is it kind of a pale, pale sandy yellow? The room looks humungusly bigger - even in the pics. Nice job ;)
Congrats on your 100th and on how the room is coming along. I like the white - clean looking. But I have to admit that the floor looks daunting. I'm sure I'll been absolutely green when you have it finished though.
Well, as long as you're the one who is green and not the floor, we'll be doing alright!
ahhh now the partially painted floor is explained away by envisaging a divine rug overlapping slightly the painted/varnished edges and not slipping around on the un-painted floor. Where has it gone now? What will take its place?
Go on be brave, I want to see the build(ers)!!
hey there home renovator. Your floor looks similar to what we discovered here. Barn board floor nonono. They are probably the original floor boards and likely pine or maple (not sure what trees they have around there, I will assume pine or ash. They will sand up beautifully and will be worth more than the crap you buy at home depot because you can't buy boards that wide anymore. I wish I could be there to help. Off to buy a lottery ticket ta
Hey Mary! Thanks for the tip! Yeah, Mark pointed out to me that my original guess of barnboard was incorrect. You're a handy bunch, you (insert last name here)'s!
Post a Comment