Saturday, September 01, 2007

A Sweater Story...Chapter 2; Dyed in the wool...

I'm a little concerned about this...

This is what is happening whilst I knit upon SIL's sweater. I'm hoping that with a wash, this problem will self correct. I've had this happen with red wool as well. Anyone else had this experience, and if so, what was the solution/outcome?

Anyhow, continuing my little sweater log, I've finished the back and cast on for the left front today...

It's going rather well, once I figured out in which direction to knit the cable chart. That had me flummoxed for a good half hour, but thanks to the wonders of the internet, I found a blog that directed me back to...the back of the freakin' magazine that I'm knitting the pattern from (re: the glossary). Speaking of which, some of you may be able to figure out at this point which pattern I am knitting. Anyone willing to venture a guess?

I cast off the back a couple of days ago or so, but I got a little sidetracked by these...


Knit from Austerman sock yarn, which has aloe vera right in the yarn. At first I hated this yarn, as it tangled and curled back up on itself. Very frustrating. If the yarn comes in a ball, I just knit it from the middle and don't have any problems. In any case, I rewound the yarn, that is, I made a ball, and it worked out a little better. I really like the finished product. Too bad I'm not keeping them for myself! One 100g ball makes two adult socks, and even after these, I probably have enough left to knit a small pair of kids socks.

Anyhow, no time for extensive blogging today...I'm completely obsessed with cabling at the moment and I really should go wash this dye off my hands.

Until later...

NB: In the first photo, does my middle finger look horribly bent to anyone else?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOO! I have that bent finger thing too - on both hands.
Hmm, the bleeding dye thing..
You can try soaking the remaining yarn in a bit of a vinegar solution to set the color or just wait till the piece is finished and soak the whole thing in the vinegar solution so the bleeding doesn't happen to your SIL

And the socks look super cute:)

ellen said...

Yes, I think it is bending a little bit south, but then my baby fingers have always pointed east or west, depending on which hand you are looking at. My "birdie" fingers are also huge at the knuckles due to accidents and let's just say, the test of time. My right thumb also has been inflicted with what they call trigger finger. I would like to say at this time, "Go figure, Trigger Finger."
Great socks, and we'll worry about the toes later.

Anonymous said...

Um, well, I don't deal cards in vegas but maybe we could be hand twins.
How you doin.

Anonymous said...

You are a freaky blue handed, twisty fingered knitter who has just produced fraternal socks - but hey your cablling!