I was a Brownie when I was young, and got a few badges. I never made it to Guides though. We moved and I had to join a new troupe that required you bring 25 cents to every weekly meeting. I kept forgetting to bring mine and got up to a dollar seventy-five, so I quit going. Thankfully, I no longer neglect my debts.
The "Proselytize Knitting" Badge

All knitters must espouse the wonders of knitting.
The "MacGyver" Badge, Level One

This was really more of an attempt. I wasn't successful. I was in the airport and had finished a sock that I hadn't anticipated on finishing during my flights and waiting times and since the governing body that regulates what can and cannot be taken on flights sees fit to allow knitting needles on board, but not teensy-tiny scissors, I had nothing to cut the yarn with. Without breaking the yarn, I would be left without anything to knit, like, uh, the other sock. I had a Dristan bubble pack in my purse and thought that the edge might be sharp enough to eventually break the yarn if I kept sawing at it. I tried for a little while, but then became very self concious and stopped. Who knows though, it may have worked in time.
The "MacGyver" Badge, Level Two

I know I've used knitting implements for many things other than knitting, but the only ones that come to mind at the moment are using a dpn for changing the time on the clock in the Jeep and for also checking cake done-ness.
The "Knitting Has Force Me to Seek Medical Attention" Badge, Level One

This should explain all you need to know about this badge.
The "Knitting Under the Influence" Badge

This is just a given, isn't it?
The "I've Knit Items With No Conceivable Practical Application" Badge.

Perhaps my favourite was a 'Smitten' that I knit for my brother-in-law and his wife as a joke one year for Christmas. A 'Smitten' is a very large mitten with two cuffs, whereby two people can wear it with the intention of holding hands while walking in the winter wonderland. I basically just wanted to see if I could make one, figuring it out on my own without a pattern. I did, and the result was actually pretty neat, although when my brother-in-law saw it, he stated; "I'd have to kick my own ass if I wore that thing." Too funny.
4 comments:
That's awesome! I just signed my youngest up for Daisy Girl Scouts and got the fall schedule for my little Brownie in the mail today!
Now I want to go dig out my old sashes and vests and look at some of the badges (I made it through scouts till 10th grade - the Hubby is a bonafide Eagle Scout!)
I LOVE THESE! Brenda Dayne is my fav podcaster hands down. These badges and your "justifications" have totally made my day. In fact I was soo thrilled that I breached one of my personal laws - do not discuss crafting or anything that insinuates that I may have a personality at work.
PS I made it through Brownies and that's as far as I got too. (My older bro - surprise, surprise made it quite far in Scouts though).
PSx2 I could make you a chatelaine!
Hilarious..I love these badges.
Post a Comment