I've been knitting in fits and starts, on a couple of projects, both of which I don't really want to talk about cuz the big reveals at the end are what I am going for. So I'll show you this instead...
Wishing I had given the sink a good scrub before photographing. Please ignore.
I spun up the rest of the dyed pencil roving that came in my little spinning kit that I got at spinning class. Here it is having a little bath before I set the twist. Doesn't it look rather yummy? I'm always quite amazed at my ability to get so excited about yarn. It's string for crying out loud, and yet after I squished out all the water and hung it up to dry, I kept coming back to it over and over just to look at it hanging there, drying. I'd run my fingers over it and just marvel at my handiwork. I spun this was what I kept thinking. Is there any non-knitter out there that gets this weird about something that you enjoy? Please tell me about it...it might help me feel less concerned about my own state of affairs.
I don't know if this picture does it justice, but I got significantly better at being consistent with the spinning. The last little skein that I did was very skinny and pretty even throughout. I didn't get a picture of them hanging up this time...I was too busy fondling.
I joined four of my wee skeins together and wound it, and then left my first little skein of dyed roving by itself. It will join the undyed stuff that I spun as a pet skein, a reminder of my first spinning endeavours. The ball on the left I'd like to knit into something, but I'm not sure just what yet. I really have no idea of how much yardage I have there. Some of it I wound on my wool winder, which is 2 yds. and a bit and some I wound on the niddy-noddy's at the spinning workshop. To be honest, I don't really care, but I see how this piece of information becomes vitally important when you want to spin with the intention of knitting.
I have another kit just like the one I just worked with, only this time it's deep blues and purples. I bought it some time ago at Have a Yarn, and attempted to teach myself to spin, which only resulted in frustration and fibre tantrums. It's taking a lot of will power to make myself knit on my projects rather than spin more yarn though. I spent most of yesterday completely enraptured in spinning, and my dwelling is starting to show it. Woefully neglected. And seeing as today is Sunday, I don't see that being remedied any time soon.
Anyhow, enough of this gibber-gabber. Off to craft.
Until later...
4 comments:
I had a good start to the day and cleaned the kitchen, along with the daily vacuum. It's breaktime now, and judging by the time of day I'd say that's it til tomorrow morning. (I have this weird thing about only cleaning in the morning.) Should mop sometime today, too, though.
Love your little mini cakes! See, that's kinda why I've hung back on the spinning thing. I'm afraid it will overtake me.
Looks great, Marti!
I love seeing the spinning ... you've done a great job and have gotten really good -- yay!
I am going away soon, don't know if I can standf the anticipation of waiting for your 'Big Reveal" ... I m,uch prefer "progressio shots" to the big event of an unveiling of an FO ... I think you should post progress pics -- what I saw at Knit Nite was wonderful, and I knw you'll reveal about a day after I leave... and it will make me bonkers while I am gone. You should either post progress shots, or not finish it until I return -- just my opinion.
You are something else! Years and years ago when we had sheep and I had a friend that would clean the wool and card it, I spun!!! well, for heaven's sake, yes I did, but life got in the way. I still have my wheel, tho. no sheep here. I keep thinking I may get back to it. God, I don't even keep the house clean and I don't have years and years left!
Hey, didn't you say that you needed a niddy-noddy? Check out this:
http://www.doctordirt.com/blog/niddy.html
I'd bet that you have some PVC pipe kicking around, what with all the reno...
Post a Comment