So about this writers strike in Hollywood. It's making me want to cancel my cable. For a couple of reasons. First off, I hate most reality television. Not because it's debasing and morally corrupting our society, but because if I watch it, I get totally sucked in. I have to keep up with every episode and stay with it till the bitter end, and that just makes me feel dirty. Like I must make penance and cleanse my spirit of icky, whiny Bachelor contestants and horrifyingly bad Americon Idol auditioners who set themselves up for complete and total humiliation.
Second, this is the first tv season in a very long while that there have been new shows that I was excited about and looked forward to watching. Ever since Friends went off the air, (yes, I'm a cliche, I LOVE that show) I haven't cared too much about what's new or up and coming. I briefly mainlined on Lost, hung in there through the second season, way past the point where it became abundantly clear that the writers and creators of the show never anticipated it becoming as popular as it did and then had absolutely no idea how to intelligently and believably go forward.
Then the Dark Ages of Television set in, where it seemed as though no one even knew how to write a story anymore. Production costs of reality tv must be so freakishly low that the temptation is just too great. I mean really, Amish in the City for crying out loud. Although, when the Amish kids saw the ocean for the first time, I did get a little misty eyed.
Now here we are, present day, and I have not one, not two, but three new shows to look forward to. They may not be your taste, but for a brief time, they were delighting me and keeping me oh so entertained.
First off, Pushing Daisies. I haven't been this excited or this engaged in a television show since Northern Exposure, which, by my estimation alone, has been the single best television series in the last 20 years. What I like about it the most is that it is pure escapism. The show is it's own little bubble, it's own weird little world that looks different and feels different, with it's own merry little band of quirky characters. I want to go to The Pie Hole as much as I wanted to go to The Brick in Cicely, Alaska (plus I totally have a crush on Ned).
Second,Moonlight. This is not a show I expected to like, but I'm usually home on Friday evenings and as I kinda got suckered into The Ghost Whisperer, this came on right afterwards, and when you're knitting, you're less likely to take the time to flick around to find something else to watch. Surprise of surprises, I really am digging this series. Here's a brief synopsis of the premise; A private investigator, Mick St. John, also a vampire, befriends a reporter and together, the dig deep into the vampire culture of Los Angeles. Attraction and sexual tension ensue. There's much more to it than that, but there's the basic gist. Yeah, I know, it sounds cheesy and when I first started watching it, I immediately thought of the Beauty and the Beast series back in the 80's. But it's really quite good for a Friday night, need something to just chill out and watch kind of show. The action is good, the story moves along quickly but not too quickly, there's real chemistry between the two lead characters (and uh, excuse me, but Mick isn't too hard on the eyes) and who isn't a little (or a lot) intrigued by vampires? It's got everything. Especially the guy who plays Mick (who's actually Australian in real life, which only makes him sexier).
Thirdly,Samantha Who? This is just plain cute and funny. Christina Applegate has amnesia and is trying to put together the pieces of her life, only to discover that the life she had isn't really the life she wants. And she has had to move back in with her parents, her mom being Jean Smart, who is always good. Anyhow, this is a great take on the sitcom, cuz there is no audience and therefore the usual conventions of the sitcom have disappeared, leaving just good writing and the opportunity for the viewer to get the jokes without being told when and where they happen. Christina Applegate is great at comedy. She's got great timing and does that whole vulnerable yet a bit crazy thing very well. Her two best girl friends really hold their own and make the show that much better. Especially the girl who plays Dena, her friend from 7th grade. She's hilarious.
So what was my point? Right. I was really enjoying all of this until a bunch of disgruntled writers and their stick in the mud corporate demon bosses had to all go and throw a big hissy fit and ruin all my fun. The only upside is that I am watching a lot more CBC and PBS and feel somewhat smarter for having watched Frontline or The Hour. I'm catching up on some movies, 3:10 to Yuma being good enough to recommend (cuz I'll watch anything with Russell Crowe...are you also noticing a theme here in my viewing habits?). Ben Foster, who plays Charlie Prince in the movie, is awesome. If any of you were Six Feet Under fans, you may recognize him as being Claire's boyfriend. I think he's one to watch.
I hope that the writers do get some of the revenue that they're looking for with regards to DVD sales etc. because the only way I'm going to be watching my stories now I guess is to get them when the seasons come out on disc. There's really no chance of talking me into watching The Moment of Truth.
Until later...
4 comments:
I haven't seen Pushing up Daisies -- but a lot of folks at work are talking about it (and I am a huge fan of Dead Like Me -- which is supposed to be a "if you like DLM, you'll Love PUB" sort of relationship).
I too have been taking in a lot more CBC since the strike ... and have quite taken to Corner Gas; quite a quirky little group, and much more fun to watch than T's favorite shows -- some stupid cops type show or dogs with jobs. And I may have seen more CSI reruns in the past few months than I can stomach (and I never thought I would say that!)
See you at KN tonight!
We've been watching episodes of Northern Exposure that we taped, wishing we had been smart enough to tape Pushing Daisies.
Watched the first episode of "the week the women left" am looking forward to seeing how that one goes.
One of these nights I'm going to have to get to knit night and meet all you people whose blogs I read :)
I miss Pushing Daisies. I've been going to bed early nights cuz there's nothing on to watch. Don't care much for many of the reality shows. I watch a lot of Seinfeld and Star Trek Voyager reruns, and I always have my collection of Are You Being Served DVDs!
I like Samantha Who as well. Really light and entertaining.
But all the reality shows totally turn me off. I just hate to see people making fools of themselves to make money.
Men in Trees and Ugly Betty are two shows I quite enjoy. Also light and funny and give me a chuckle.
Post a Comment