Friday, March 21, 2008

The Secret to Increasing Knitting FO Output...

I have discovered a revelation. Knit Nite is not only fun, but it can be incredibly productive. Case in point, I made great headway on not one, but two projects last Wednesday night, both of which I was able to finish when I got home. How is this accomplished you ask, when the main goal of Knit Nite is to drink hot chocolate and eat crack-filled cupcakes (they put it in the icing, I swear)?

Have someone else do the knitting for you! One of our esteemed members brought a project that had been put down for some time, and she didn't feel much like trying to figure out where she left off. After a brief stint with Heddy's dish cloth cotton, I handed over my second little sock that I had started and then put down in favour of my newly acquired alpaca. Granted, it is an itty bitty sock, but she got to the heel by the time we left and I was able to finish the foot of the sock (and the crown the hat that I was working on) when I got home.



Did someone mention alpaca? Ah right, that was me. Well, I dropped into the LYS with the intention of just picking up one ball for another pair of baby socks (I'm doing some baby knitting, can't you tell? There are few babies who need knit wear out there in the near future) and I had a bit of a falling down. I found a cute little pattern for a baby cardi and hat, and four balls later, I walked out on a bit of an alpaca high.



I lurve working with this stuff. It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend you pick some up. The pattern is SRK 164, Cable Hat and Cardigan and I'm using Luxury Collection Alpaca Peru in sort of a beigey colour. It's delightful. I'm doing the 3-6 month size, and it looks really big to me. Ah well. Whatever!



And no Friday would be a Good Friday without this guy, at least in my opinion. He had his third-to-last puppy class last night and was totally like a kid who just came off of two weeks vacation. Not interested in doing school work, just wanted to play and find out what everyone else did with their time off (we had a week off from puppy school last week because of March Break). Of course, the blame rests squarely on my shoulders as we didn't do as much practising of the exercises and commands that we should have and somewhere along the way, Hank just stopped wanting to do down altogether. I'll even get into a deep crouch and put my hand all the way to the ground and he'll just sit there and stare down at my hand like 'that's nice...not laying down though.' And I have never encountered a dog that is so disinterested in treats overall. At home, yeah, he can get sort of excited about them, but with new treats? He's so cautious you'd think that he was convinced the world was trying to poison him. He rarely takes treats from strangers. Anyhow, even hot dogs weren't tempting him to co-operate at some points last night. He's going to have expensive taste, I can just tell. We'll have to do a little better with our homework before next week. Only one more class before graduation. I kept telling him before we started our training that he'd get a gold star. Can't let the poor guy down. Could you disappoint that face?

Hank and I wish you all a Happy Easter. Watch out for rabbits bearing chocolate.

Until later...

4 comments:

Heddy said...

Hank is getting so big and handsome! I love to see pictures of him.

The baby socks are cute ... nice job, Dorti (you know, like Beniffer). I love the knitting duo thing too, I seem to finish things much much faster with Donna driving the project (hehehe!) I finished the dishcloth Donna started - you can call us Henna - LOL!

I should get lots done on my own this weekend, too, as T is working until Monday ... 3 days of uninterrupted knitting!

(p.s. Have you tried cheese slices quartered as a treat? For Hank, not for you! My dogs practically turn themselves inside out for them ... and that is how I get them to take pills too - wrap a pill in a quarter cheese slice, feed them a 1/4 slice, then the pill disguised as a cheese slice while showing them another quarter slice ... the final 2 quarter slices are a reward for taking the pill.) I can't believe he doesn't get excited over hot dogs -- hot dogs are crack for my dogs! That's how we taught Duffy to catch things in the air (Elvis learned with popcorn, but Duffy is popcorn challenged -- it is a little trickier!)

lexa said...

I love that little baby set pattern, it's my favorite one in that pattern line. I imagine it is really nice in the alpaca.

Jewel will tear my hand off for jerky/beggin' strip treats and hard cheese. She really likes peanut butter, too, but that's not practical! Course, she'd eat just about anything. Pig. Doesn't have to be food, either. She'll chew up little plastic things (like pen caps, for example) and eat them. Hard to get stuff out of her yap once she gets a bite on it.

I know Jewel won't graduate with honors! Hank did really well with the recall, I thought. You know he'll come running to you without even being called, but at least he did go back to the trainer when she called. I still say heaven help the person who ever tries to take him. Or anyone that ever gave you a whack around him, I figure they'd be in for a lot more than they bargained for -- he's protective of his Mama!

Heddy said...

I take it from your comment on my blog that you are a little tired of winter in Nova Scotia? LOL! It will end , eventually, but not until it completely demoralizes you, sucking every bit of hope and optimism out of you ... then Summer comes for a week, then it is Winter again. I seek out any happy little sign that we might actually see live growing things again. No worries -- it will go away - we will see green grass again, and you will be able to wear flip flops without wool socks.

Anonymous said...

I've been by several times over the past week, and I love those little socks! Which pattern did you use?

Also, I had a chance to fondle some alpaca recently and it is soooo soft. How has it been to knit with?