Monday, June 30, 2008

FO's, WIP's, and a few words...

I'm starting to sound like a broken record...maybe just to myself but the mantra 'I'm so tired!' is starting to sound a little tired. But it's true. This harried pace at which we've been going at for over a year now with regards to this house project is really starting to test my stamina apparently. Exhaustion just isn't a big enough word. Thank goodness huge leaps and bounds of progress have been made in the last few months. We're actually at the point where we will be moving furniture this week. Yes, furniture. From the apartment to the house, from the garage/shed to the house...to fill the house (as much as our paltry assemblage of belongings will fill it once all is said and done). I'll post some pics of all of that later on. For now, it's all about the socks.



I wasn't much of a joiner until this whole knitting thing exploded in my life, and even at that, much of the joining is virtual. But it's still a lot of fun. So I joined Summer of Socks and find that I'm getting pretty into it. My goal was not to knit the most but to try some new patterns and techniques. First pair now finished, started Jun. 21/08, finished Jun. 28/08. Toe-Up Totem pattern, Fleece Artist Somoko Mill ends, 2.25 mm needle. Mods; my own bastardized version of a toe up and an afterthought heel. Short row didn't go well. I have bitter feelings to resolve. Love the final product. Easy pattern to memorize, can't rave about the yarn enough. So warm and cozy. Totally in-house socks only...yarn is too precious for shoes. (New sock blockers...found them at the 'antique' shop in town for $15.00, which I thought was still a pretty good deal. They'll be great for blocking all of the kilt hose I plan on knitting too...totally kidding.



'Nother photo using the flash. You can get a better idea of the mottled/shaded effect of the yarn. And you can see my new pretty carpet again too. Has that new carpet smell. Called 'off gassing' which probably isn't good for you, but like the smell of gasoline at the station, you kinda like it anyway.



Pair # 2 in progress. Regia Nation Colour 5399, acquired at Have a Yarn on WWKIP day. Love love love. Needed an infusion of cheeriness and colour yesterday as I was awakened at 6 am from a nightmare and couldn't get back to sleep. Very cranky all day (feel bad for my husband and dog). Generic toe up in an effort to perfect my toe up skilz. I will be attempting the short row heel again, this time with an instruction booklet that a fellow knitter vouchers for being very straight forward. I plan to keep knitting up the cuff until the yarn runs out so that I have gigantic rainbow legs. Methinks these will be in-house only as well. The colours make me happy. As happy as one who can barely string a full sentence together can be at this point.

So there you have it. Not sick of knitting socks yet, although it's been so chilly and dull here the last three days I've been seriously contemplating casting the Central Park Hoodie that I bought the yarn for not that long ago. I could see actually needing to wear it this 'summer' (summer, I've discovered, is a very loose term out here).

Anyway, gotta get back to polyurethane-ing a floor. Until later...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your green socks. Only in my dreams could I do something like that!

lexa said...

You musta got those blockers at Arthur's, and I'm gonna have to chew him out for not telling me about them! I've told him a dozen times anything knitting oriented to let me know!! LOL! Glad you got them, I'll have to remind him for next time.

I think my BF brought the sucky weather home with her from Calgary. This is not nice. Hopefully it will be nice on the weekend for Privateer Days.

lexa said...

Ah, that's why I didn't hear anything then -- Arthur owns Hoggie's. He's a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

you could block tights with those.
I'm working on a rainbow pair with the Noro sock yarn - totally cheers you up to see those colors! :)

Anonymous said...

The rainbow yarn makes me smile.

But that green has been HAUNTING me! I swear it has been lurking around the outskirts of my consciousness ever since you first posted about it.

Socks and carpet are lovely!

Donna M said...

Summer starts on June 20 and goes through until September 21. Nobody said it had to be hot and sunny to be summer in NS. We get all weathers here so one doesn't get bored or too comfortable1
Love the socks, both FO and new ones!

Alison said...

I was just going to post exactly what Donna said. Summer here starts June 21st. Weather is totally irrelevant!

Offgassing carpets kill me. I will never put new carpet in, because I still remember the weeks of awful coughing after we put new carpet in at home when I was in high school!