Since moving into the house, we've been a little concerned with Hank and his adaptability to the hardwood and other uncarpeted surfaces. For the first week or so, we were sure that he was going to break his ankles with the gracelessness he showed in going up and down the stairs. Also in that first week, even though we had put his blanket at the foot of our bed, just like in the apartment, he would roam for quite a bit trying to find a comfortable spot. And it wasn't as though he would get up, move and then quietly lay down again. More like struggle to get on his feet, ticky-tap across the floor and then collapse all of his weight onto his elbows before tha-thumping onto his belly. So for the past month I kept remarking on how I really need to make him a proper bed or pillow. And today I finally got around to it.
I took an old fitted sheet and fitted mattress cover that I had hanging around from the twin bed I abandoned in high school. Sometimes it does actually pay to hang onto crap that you have no discernible use for. I cut off the excess fabric and did away with the fitted-ness, though I ran a basting stitch on each of the corners to gather a bit to give a little room for stuffing later.
I also had two queen sized quilt batts hanging around from when I bought them last year at a garage sale down the road. I haven't put a quilt together in quite some time and did not have one on the go at the time I bought the batts, but when there's two of them staring at your for six dollars, how can you just walk away? Here is one just unrolled. Picture the other unrolled beside it and that is how the bed is stuffed.
I left one end open and added some velcro strips for ease of washing later on.
And here we have what appears to be a satisfied customer. It took no coaxing to get him to lay down and pose for this picture, which must mean that a) he likes it and b) is quite familiar with the camera. Anyhow, we shall see if he gives it a test-drive tonight. He hasn't been sleeping in our room a lot lately though, which we think has more to do with the ceiling fan than anything. The constable seems to think that it somehow bothers his ears. Seems feasible. Anyhow, that's one sewing project out of the queue. Perhaps this will have a trickle down effect and I'll finally get around to doing some proper shades for our bedroom windows rather than just going and putting the push-pins back to hold up the makeshift shades every time there is a strong breeze.
Until later...
4 comments:
Well aren't you the clever one! What a great idea and Mr. Hank certainly looks like a happy camper to me!
He does look quite impressed! I need to either make one for Jewel or buy one. If one of the blankets on the sofa gets knocked to the floor she has to lay on it. I know what you mean about thumping down to the floor, too -- she does that all the time. We let her sleep out of the kennel Friday night at the camper. The next night I put her in, though. I can't sleep when she roams around.
Fabulous! Put a nice big check mark next to that one!
nicely done! And yes, he does look quite pleased with it. Sabrina and Apollo have pretty much adapted to the laminate flooring here and can maneouver around quite well.
The ceiling fan - Sabrina isn't bothered by it at all; she cockroaches on the middle of our bed directly under the fan and sleeps like a log!
Post a Comment