Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Last Solo Flight...

One round trip ticket to Ontario on Westjet: Reasonably priced, with a seat sale on both ends

One rental car picked up in Hamilton: Also reasonably priced, with a ten percent discount

Being able to surprise your BFF on the day of her baby shower: Priceless.

Her husband and I had been planning it for about a month, sending super secret squirrel emails back and forth and it went off without a hitch. She was all surprised and discombobulated and I was delighted that I could be there for it. I left Friday, returned Monday so was back in my hometown area in Ontario for, what, a little more than 72 hrs., but it was a blast. The shower was a major success, if I do say so myself.

When she mentioned that she would be having a shower way back sometime in October, I went berserk and didn't stop for an entire month. Behold:



And that wasn't everything. I included another receiving blanket, a sleep sack that I had sewn, a memory book and some stuff to throw in the diaper bag. Included in this photo are a pair of Fetching in alpaca, some felted slippers, socks knit from Fleece Artist Nova Socks, a top down cardigan from Top Down for Toddlers...umm, what else...a couple of knitted washcloths. Too fun. I did actually get a few photos of the opening process, but for some reason, my computer won't recognize them on my memory card. Must print them soon lest they be lost forever.



I think this may have been the biggest hit all 'round. My Knit Nite ladies went nuts for it while I was in the process of creating it (which spawned two more like it from NovaKnitter) and it seemed to resonate with the shower attendees as well. It's Debbie Bliss' Cabled Tank Top knit with DB Baby Cashmerino. I have two balls of deep indigo in my knitting basket waiting for my own little version of this. It's so so sweet.



I was really pleased with how this one turned out as well. I wasn't so sure in the early stages of knitting if I would like how it turned out, but when it was finished, I thought, and still do think, that it's as sweet as can be. Top Down Cardigan from Top Down for Toddlers (Carrie, you should seriously get this book, you'll love it) sized for one year knit out of Bernat Jr. Jacquards in the Country Kid colourway. Acrylic and nylon I believe, but quite soft. Perfect for early fall weather over top of those denim overalls!

So that was my stealth knitting for most of the autumn. What a blast it was to get it all together and keep it all a secret...whee. I had a few comments that perhaps a nearly seven month pregnant lady shouldn't be travelling in the skies and on the roads alone at this time of year, but I figured, as the title suggests, that this will be my last solo flight for a very long time. Plus, the baby is easier to lug around like this than any other possible configuration. Less stuff to contend with. Only my own.

Now it's time to settle into the long dark winter and wait for the excitement of the spring. Tomorrow we find out what this little bean will be and perhaps even what he/she might look like (one of those funky 3d ultrasounds). I'm quite excited. Pinto seemed to enjoy flying (or perhaps not, as the case may be...one never really knows) as I was kicked all the way from Halifax to Hamilton and back again, the most active in one sitting that the baby has been. It's hard to believe that there is only 90 days or so left...it's gone by rather quickly. And with Christmas and New Years and then my b-day tacked onto the end of that, I'm sure this next little while will buzz by as well. Exciting times.

I've been tagged to do a meme as well, and I will get to that in another post but for now I'm still a bit knackered from the trip and I have some Christmassy type things to attend to, ie. get packages ready for sending. I'm forever dragging my feet on this and end up paying dearly for it, literally, in the end. Last year I decided to let myself off the hook with any sort of Christmas related knitting, except for perhaps myself and the constable, so that's a relief. No pressure there. Just looking forward to enjoying the holiday with my feet up.

Until later...

3 comments:

lexa said...

Glad the shower was a success and that we can finally see all the goodies on Ravelry that you knit. :)

Tomorrow's the big day -- I wanna know the results!!!!

Donna M said...

So pleased you pulled off the whole shower surprise thing so successfully! And your loot for the shower was really impressive!
Hope to hear all about it tonight!

Anonymous said...

I love all of the gifts, but your presence most of all - made me fall back in love with the world again.